Looking for some Wye advice

This forum belongs to the River Wye.
PeteD
Rudd

Looking for some Wye advice

Post by PeteD »

As the good lady has been very keen to visit Hay on Wye for sometime I decided to treat her to a weekend there in February. I have booked a place a few miles away near Dorstone. Now! What could I possibly find to occupy myself with when she is happily looking around the book and antique shops? :Chuckle:

So with that in mind I am looking for a day ticket water close by. I have never fished on the Wye before so I really have no ideas. A quick search came up with the Red Lion stretch which seems a good possibility? I also found The Warren in Hay itself? I just wondered if any of you familiar with the area could advise me of any other potential options?

Thanks in advance.

Pallenpool
Zander

Re: Looking for some Wye advice

Post by Pallenpool »

You can fish the Wye on a day ticket at Hay for £10 there’s plenty of swims to choose from and all are pretty good and spots can be located with just a 5 -10 minute walk from the Bridge. You can obtain a ticket from Golesworthys shop in the town centre by the clock tower. The stretch about a mile in total is known as the Warren which you have already come across. There is good fishing to be had and the main benefit being you will not have to venture far to wet a line if your staying in Hay. The Red Lion - Bredwardine is not that far away but really if your in Hay I would opt for fishing there - time on the bank is precious.

Peter
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

PeteD it all depends on want you want to catch. If anything will do then a chub or two from Hay will suffice. If you fancy a specimen grayling then the water up and around Builth may be the best option. Maybe you fancy 30lbs of quality roach or perhaps a few big perch, then you need a day ticket from H&DAA - two tackle shops in Hereford sell these.

Above all Pete D, you need to keep an eye on river levels - its all on the net, but these, together with prevailing temperatures, will determine what is the best approach to catching at the time. Please let me know if I can give you more info nearer the time of your visit.
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

PeteD
Rudd

Post by PeteD »

Thank you very much for the advice both. I won't really have any specific target species Troydog Just a few hours on the bank with the chance of a fish or two will keep me happy. Good point regarding the levels and temperatures. If the past months are anything to go by then that could well be a deciding factor. I will keep my eye on them closer to the weekend and may well come back to you looking for some advice then.

Many thanks again!

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

PeteD wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:39 am Thank you very much for the advice both. I won't really have any specific target species Troydog Just a few hours on the bank with the chance of a fish or two will keep me happy. Good point regarding the levels and temperatures. If the past months are anything to go by then that could well be a deciding factor. I will keep my eye on them closer to the weekend and may well come back to you looking for some advice then.

Many thanks again!
Others here know about my love of the Wye and here are my thoughts.

You’ll thoroughly enjoy Hay and it’s fishing, and I get that you won’t gave a lot of time. The river is captivating.

My suggestion is to try and spend some time prospecting. Drive up to Builth, Erwood and Gromayne and see the river with rocks like cars. The grayling and trout fishing is wonderful. Have lunch at the Red Lion and sample it’s uniqueness; Mike and the locals are great characters and the chef is excellent. The Red Lion beats (AKA Moccas Fishery) is not the most prolific for coarse fish but hard to beat for sheer beauty and variance in the water, pools, runs and backdrop.

Then do look in at Hereford. Yes it is a little more built up and well trodden but as Troydog has suggested, the fishing can be spectacular for specimen and quantity.

Then plan your return!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Tengisgol wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:31 pm
PeteD wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:39 am Thank you very much for the advice both. I won't really have any specific target species Troydog Just a few hours on the bank with the chance of a fish or two will keep me happy. Good point regarding the levels and temperatures. If the past months are anything to go by then that could well be a deciding factor. I will keep my eye on them closer to the weekend and may well come back to you looking for some advice then.

Many thanks again!
Others here know about my love of the Wye and here are my thoughts.

You’ll thoroughly enjoy Hay and it’s fishing, and I get that you won’t gave a lot of time. The river is captivating.

My suggestion is to try and spend some time prospecting. Drive up to Builth, Erwood and Gromayne and see the river with rocks like cars. The grayling and trout fishing is wonderful. Have lunch at the Red Lion and sample it’s uniqueness; Mike and the locals are great characters and the chef is excellent. The Red Lion beats (AKA Moccas Fishery) is not the most prolific for coarse fish but hard to beat for sheer beauty and variance in the water, pools, runs and backdrop.

Then do look in at Hereford. Yes it is a little more built up and well trodden but as Troydog has suggested, the fishing can be spectacular for specimen and quantity.

Then plan your return!
Wise words Phil - wise words indeed :Thumb:

PeteD
Rudd

Post by PeteD »

Thanks again all. My appetite is well and truly whetted! Can't wait!

Return to “River Wye”