Recordette Switzerland

The Other Reels forum.
Mr B

Re: Recordette Switzerland

Post by Mr B »

Blow me mate you are good!!! Yes, Thames rod.... Part Whole-cane Spliced tip.... and I thought that was a repair.... Do you think I should keep it?
Just got in from an evenings fishing.... lost a big Chub on spam.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Part whole cane middle section rods aren't particularly sought after in the current market and so don't fetch a lot of money.....unless it's a Hardy Perfection Roach, that is! Yet everyone clamours for a rod with a whole cane butt........

But that's just a fashion thing really. Look at the illustrations of Mr. Crabtree's rods in Bernard Venables famous book....they're both whole cane spliced rods, even his 'Avon'.

They may not have the action you like to fish with, some are light match rods with a tip action for striking to roach, but they'll mend a trotted line well too. They are usually quite light too, though some go up to 14 feet and then they ....er....aren't.

As with all things tackle-wise, it's best to have a dangle and see how it suits you.

Mr B

Post by Mr B »

Yes, I know what you are saying... Mr Crabtree! I was weened on that book! I have a lovely copy.

There are some lovely rods around. I have always wanted a Mark VI Carp rod. My mate has one, lovely rod.
I will probably put the old Thames rod on Fleabay just tho get a few more pounds to spend on the old tackle I want!

Thanks again

Mr B

Snoekjaeger

Post by Snoekjaeger »

Pentonhook wrote:Was there a connection between ABU and record reel's?
Yes there was, the Swiss Record company (from Karl Siegrist / Zurich) produced the first fixed spool spinning reels for ABU, the ABU Record 500 (half-bail). These were simply marked "AB Urfabriken-Record". They were fully produced in Switzerland, later on they were assembled in Sweden.

In the same time the Record company continued making these same reels for themselves, they were simply named Record... The ones marked ABU-Record are more valuable because of the many ABU collectors out there.

Siegrist/Record continued producing reels in the next years untill the late 1960's I believe, the Recordette is one of them.

PS 1 : the first spinning reels sold by ABU were all produced by other companies e.g. ABU 222 by Zangi Italy, the ABU-Record 450 by Sportex Germany, the ABU-Record 500 by Siegrist Switzerland.

PS 2 : Their very first own designed and produced spinning reel was the ABU Cardinal 66 (first production in 1965 for sales in 1966 the year of introduction), the very first of the Cardinal series.

Jean-Paul

MWithell
Chub

Post by MWithell »

Just to use an existing thread! There's a Thommen Record 400 for sale online for £40. I can supply the link to anyone interested.
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

Return to “Other Reels”