Successful Coarse Fishing by Wilfred Gavin Brown

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Gurn
Chub

Successful Coarse Fishing by Wilfred Gavin Brown

Post by Gurn »

I picked up this book some time ago in a charity shop. Printed in 1964 by Oldbourne Book Co. Ltd. It really is a little gem and I find myself going back to it again and again. It comprises of section that include..Approach to angling, The fish themselves and Coarse fish on the fly...Highly informative,he tells us that "Fibreglass rods have now really established themselves" but "the 'feel' is not so pleasant as split or built cane"..There is also a piece on casting in the Nottingham style. He goes on to tell us that Bullocks Pith, dock grubs, blackberries,strawberries and macaroni are what you really need to catch a chub....Highly recommended fellas. :thumb:

Mike Wilson
Perch

Re: Successful Coarse Fishing by Wilfred Gavin Brown

Post by Mike Wilson »

So lets ask the question.....how many chub have you caught on
Bullocks Pith
Dock grubs
Blackberrries
Strawberries and
Macaroni.

Be truthfull now, then consider how many you have caught on bread, crust, cheese, worms, maggots, pellets, boilies etc.,etc.

Its called progress

Mike

Gurn
Chub

Post by Gurn »

I suspect that might be relative to the amount of times one has used the aforementioned though Mike. I intend to give them a whirl just in case what we might call progress may just be the easy option.
Last edited by Gurn on Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GarryProcter
Arctic Char

Post by GarryProcter »

I do remember using dock grubs as a lad (just after dinosaurs stopped roaming the planet), but we found it much harder finding a dock grud than a fish. Not sure what we caught, as there were no chub within striking distance. We did catch plenty of roach on caddis grubs - much easier to find than dock grubs!

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

I was once lucky enough to get given a load of wasp grubs - fabulous bait, but far too scaredy to get my own!

Have to agree that W. G. Brown's writing is very good - loved the Anglers Almanac too!

Jim

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

And "My River". Even the best angling writers appear to be unable to resist the temptation to repeat, verbatim, that list of chub baits beginning with "Bullocks pith"! Not sure where it originates from - Walton, perhaps?

Gurn
Chub

Post by Gurn »

davyr wrote:And "My River". Even the best angling writers appear to be unable to resist the temptation to repeat, verbatim, that list of chub baits beginning with "Bullocks pith"! Not sure where it originates from - Walton, perhaps?
Could also be that it was/is a bloomin' good bait.

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

No doubt, but I meant the list as a whole - chub'll eat anything really, though, won't they? :wink:

Alaudacorax

Post by Alaudacorax »

I had a bowl of strawberries yesterday and the day before. No way am I going to share them with any damn chub!

Gurn
Chub

Post by Gurn »

davyr wrote:No doubt, but I meant the list as a whole - chub'll eat anything really, though, won't they? :wink:
True enough sir, true enough. By the way davyr. I managed to get one of the rods (in fact I've bought two)you kindly suggested (Nimrod) for small river chubbing. Haven't got around to using it yet, but seems like the perfect tool for the job.

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”