New rod...

The J. S. Sharpe Ltd rods forum.
Bargee
Bleak

New rod...

Post by Bargee »

I've just won a what looks to be a Sharpes Eighty Eight staggered ferrule fly rod from the dreaded Evil Bay. I secured it for the start price at what I consider a very reasonable sum. It was badly listed but the pictures showed what could only be an 88. I deduce this from (a) the script on the butt (mostly missing but the last word is clearly what's left of Eight). (b) the apparent length/ratio of the long ferrule plug. (c) the chap had listed the length of each section...bless him.

It looks basically sound but will obviously need some tarting up/light restoration work, however, I intend to fish with it as it is (if it's deemed safe and sound enough) for the rest of the season.

I have been after one of these for 'donkeys' but they have always eluded me in some way or another. This one looks like an old warrior but such is the build of a Sharpes impregnated rod I hope/expect it be relatively sound.

I will follow this up with more (hopefully not grisly) details and possibly ask for some restoration tips when I receive the package!

Scott
Tench

Re: New rod...

Post by Scott »

Sounds like a good buy (depending on what you paid of course, without wanting to be rude can I ask what the price was? PM me if you like). I too have fancied one of these rods for a while, I have an 'Eighty Six'. Such pretty rods, aesthetically very pleasing, I love the elegance of the 'cigar' shaped handle and cork reel seat. I for one would love to see some photos and hear how it fishes. I find that mine is much better at casting a long line than it is at shorter casts and, although I prefer a rod of 9'6" for still waters when I require a longer cast, I would be comfortable taking the Scottie to some of my local stillwaters... :Hat:

Bargee
Bleak

Post by Bargee »

Hi Scott. I paid under 40 quid. I think that's pretty cheap though that's without seeing it in the flesh of course! Obvious issues include: there is precious little of the transfer left but they never did stick well to the impregnated blanks (when I got my 7.5 Featherweight in 1978 the stickers only lasted about 1/2 the season!), the long ferrule plug is there but needs a new cork fitting, the ferrule 'female' has obvious scratches, the thread wraps look tired as can be expected, I suppose.

What I am less sure about are the fit of the ferrules and the condition of the rings - with a bit of luck they will be good to go after a check and a clean. The blanks are usually pretty bullet proof if not abused so hopefully they should be fine - touch wood...or cane?!?

This rod has the full wells style handle not the natty cigar shaped job, which I love too. I have seen pictures of a few of the staggered models with this style handle - most notably the Fario Clubs but the 83 and 88 also (still with the cork insert though) so they must have changed about at some time. Can anybody shed light on that point?

I will be fishing this rod for the rest of the season if I decide it is up to it without work and I plan to refurbish it and give it proper TLC in the close season. On that note, can anybody suggest a good thread to match for the dark burgundy whippings?

I shall provide a, hopefully, glowing testimonial soon - the vendor has messaged me to say it should be with me on Thursday so I can feel an evening on the Tees with a choice of #5 and #6 lines to try it out within the week. I shall report back...

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Nice rods, and a steal at under £40...

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

Bargee wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:44 pm Hi Scott. I paid under 40 quid. I think that's pretty cheap though that's without seeing it in the flesh of course! Obvious issues include: there is precious little of the transfer left but they never did stick well to the impregnated blanks (when I got my 7.5 Featherweight in 1978 the stickers only lasted about 1/2 the season!), the long ferrule plug is there but needs a new cork fitting, the ferrule 'female' has obvious scratches, the thread wraps look tired as can be expected, I suppose.

What I am less sure about are the fit of the ferrules and the condition of the rings - with a bit of luck they will be good to go after a check and a clean. The blanks are usually pretty bullet proof if not abused so hopefully they should be fine - touch wood...or cane?!?

This rod has the full wells style handle not the natty cigar shaped job, which I love too. I have seen pictures of a few of the staggered models with this style handle - most notably the Fario Clubs but the 83 and 88 also (still with the cork insert though) so they must have changed about at some time. Can anybody shed light on that point?

I will be fishing this rod for the rest of the season if I decide it is up to it without work and I plan to refurbish it and give it proper TLC in the close season. On that note, can anybody suggest a good thread to match for the dark burgundy whippings?

I shall provide a, hopefully, glowing testimonial soon - the vendor has messaged me to say it should be with me on Thursday so I can feel an evening on the Tees with a choice of #5 and #6 lines to try it out within the week. I shall report back...

Well that's a great price! It is interesting to see the prices of these Scotties on eBay, I'm thinking the 86 and 88. 'Buy it Now' prices are usually quite high, around the £100, but if you find one that is open to bids they rarely make more than £50.

I love my 86 and have had some great fish with it but here's a thing; this season I started fishing with a Rawson and Perrin prototype, on my way to the river one day I foolishly snapped the tip so went home for the 86. At first it felt awful, requiring a lot of effort to make the thing work BUT, by the end of the session it felt normal, funny how you naturally 'tune in' to the characteristics of a rod...

Bargee
Bleak

Post by Bargee »

Well, the rod arrived this morning (a day early!). See restoration forum for an update...

Return to “J. S. Sharpe Ltd Cane Rods”