Steve Woolley of Ashbourne

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
CWK
Perch

Steve Woolley of Ashbourne

Post by CWK »

Hello Guys , it's lovely to see there are so many kindred spirits still wetting a line today .
I recently purchased from Mark Terry of the Antique and Vintage Tackle Co a most delightful rod built by Steve Wooley of Ashbourne . This is labelled The Perfection Float and is built on a Chapmans split cane blank 10 feet in length . The build quality is absolutely superb. It's as light as the proverbial feather and can be held comfortably for a whole day without suffering wrist fatigue .

What makes this particular rod special , in my opinion , is that it has that intangible "feel" that some other rods lack . One instinctively knows it's got that magic quality ..

I believe Mr Wooley is more noted for building fly rods but he does make a very fine coarse rod indeed . Do any of you possess one ?.

Finally a word of recommendation for Mark Terry , I found dealing with him to be straightforward and a pleasure .

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Steve Wooley of Ashbourne

Post by Mark »

Welcome to the forum CWK. :thumb:

I have a SW landing net and found him to be a very nice chap, I have heard that he may be joining this forum at some point. I also purchased an Altex reel from MT who is also a nice chap but I never met MT.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Welcome to the forum. Your rod sounds wonderful and I know what you mean about 'feel', some rods have that special quality.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

CWK
Perch

Post by CWK »

Many thanks indeed for the welcome gents .

I intend to use the rod teamed with an Alcocks Match Ariel reel for trotting those small intimate streams and rivers that seem to abound in Hampshire and Dorset . The target species will be roach , dace and grayling although in truth anything with fins will be welcome!.

With the glorious 16th fast approaching the feeling of anticipation just grows and grows .....

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Welcome CWK

Rivers and streams of Hants and Dorset, perhaos we may bump into one another...
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Welcome to the forum CWK :hat:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

Welcome CWK. :)
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Richard C
Brown Trout

Post by Richard C »

:welcome: CWK
"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.".
T. S Eliot
http://richard-cleaver.blogspot.co.uk/

CWK
Perch

Post by CWK »

The Sweetcorn Kid wrote:Welcome CWK

Rivers and streams of Hants and Dorset, perhaos we may bump into one another...
That would be my pleasure . Such a lovely part of the country having some wonderful chalk-streams and rivers . Although I live near to Heathrow it's in Wessex that my soul longs to be .

Hermit
Rudd

Post by Hermit »

Welcome to the forum CWK

Loitering in Steve's shop is a hobby of mine - he's a grand chap and I've had rods refurbished by him as well as buying new and second hand models. My latest new wand from him is a Chapman's 11' 1+3/4 lb test carp rod..absolutely sublime and I will cherish it always. I was lucky to see it being built up and Steve inscribed 'The Halcyon Days' on the butt section for me.

Stephen always charges a very fair price for refurbishment of rods and as he's had years of experience in the trade you always get a good job. He worked for Foster's of Ashbourne before opening his own shop and I can't recommend him highly enough.

Good luck with 'The Perfection Float' you have a lovely rod there, may it bring you many fishes! :thumb:
Fishing is worth no more than its pleasure. Bernard Venables.

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”