"Weir Products" rods

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Peter Wilde
Rudd

"Weir Products" rods

Post by Peter Wilde »

Does anyone know anything about this make? (I've searched the forum and not found very much).

I have a 7 foot split cane spinning rod, with the name Weir Products and a badge of a weir; bought as part of a job lot. It looks rather as if built to a pretty low price; sparse intermediate whippings, unlined rings and very few of them.

However, it does seem worth restoring as the cane is straight and seems good, and the handle and ferrules seem OK too. When re-ringed, the rod might make a usable pike spinning rod and possibly might adapt for stalking moderate carp in tight spaces. Anyway it would be good to give it a new career.

Lovatt
Perch

Re: "Weir Products" rods

Post by Lovatt »

Hello I have a nine foot sea spinning rod made by weir products that must have a 3Lb test curve as it is a very powerful rod which I sometimes use for carp fishing. Ask Nobby he's a forum member or have a look at his blog it says a lot about everything cane and I hope this helps.

Regards Trevor

https://nobbystackle.wordpress.com/2015 ... t-the-end/

SkimmingTheCream
Chub

Post by SkimmingTheCream »

I also have a 9 foot Weir Products spinning rod .
There have been posts on TFF before mentioning 7 and 9 foot Weir Products cane spinning rods and someone had a 12 foot whole cane with split cane top section rod for sale a while ago.
I have asked before on TFF and searched online but failed to find anything on the make so would be interested in any information you find out. :tea:
Trevor

Peter Wilde
Rudd

Post by Peter Wilde »

Thanks to both of you for your helpful comments.

I haven't so far found out anything more about this make. Have to make a small correction to my initial post though, as on cleaning the rod better I noticed that the words on the badge are in the singular, "Weir Product" rather than "Weir Products".

I've restored this 7 ft rod and found it a bit more powerful than I expected, and definitely worth having. I gave it a testing-out day on the Thames and caught an 8lb pike, which it coped with very easily, though a longer rod would have been preferable.

Peter Wilde
Rudd

Post by Peter Wilde »

I can add that this little rod has now proved its worth in a margin-fishing situation where only a short rod would fit. Some pictures are below. Before anyone gets too excited though, I should add that mine is not a large landing net!

P1060619.jpg
P1060622.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SkimmingTheCream
Chub

Post by SkimmingTheCream »

Nice carp and the rod and reel go well together. It is nice to see some of the lesser known makes of cane rods still in use :Thumb:

Peter Wilde
Rudd

Post by Peter Wilde »

Thanks for that kind comment! Finding a cheap old wreck of a rod and doing it up can give much pleasure. It also provides something that's likely to be more used - one does not worry so much about the wear and tear that will result. There is always more chance that an expensive, pristine, sought-after rod (if one is lucky enough to have one) will be left at home for safe keeping.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

I have a 10ft. 9in. Weir Products rod which I wrote about and put up pictures in this thread in 2014 :-

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=13146&p=184329&hilit=weir#p184329
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”