Rod Bags by Ellen Lawrence:

This forum is for discussing rod bags by Ellen Lawrence.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Rod Bags by Ellen Lawrence:

Post by Nobby »

I had bags like that too, Vole, but having the handle at the top felt clumsy and top heavy when carrying it and seemed quite likely to result in the tip section getting clouted on something, so I asked Ellen to make me a bag that had the handle pocket down the bottom.

I'm not actually sure how Chapman's original bag did it, but this feels much better than sewing up a full length pocket.

I'm told a packet of fags is over £7 now....you'd get money left over if you bought a bag from Ellen instead :wink: ....and that includes postage at the new rates.

It may be that in time Ellen will feel that she has to charge more than her current prices.....they'd still be good value at twice the price quite frankly. The recent postal increases have changed the playing field on small and light items .... eBay bargains don't seem as good when you add the postage on, but Ellen is content at her current price. From getting an e-mail that it is ready and a PayPal invoice from her, the bag is usually with you the next day in a padded envelope.

I think she's a star!

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

I'm guessing she doesnt have a website, do you just contact her by email?
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Yes, Loop, just use the e-mail address. No website, that's why I uploaded a couple of pictures of the bags she had made for me.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

That sounds excellent value to me.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

I take your point about tip damage, Nobby.
If the bag has a hanging loop and the sections are bagged tip-first, the problem goes away - but then, of course, we're looking at more labour - so it's probably "six and two threes".
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Update!

Ellen has just obtained some khaki cloth!

Somewhere a soldier has lost his trousers!

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I feel a replica Sharpes bag coming on…

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

Just got my two replacements for my Chapman 500 and 550. The khaki is a top bit of shmutter, nice and thick, yet still pretty soft. Pretty much like the stuff thay used to be made out of. Made to perfection and with the seperate handle pocket. Top marks to Ellen.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I've ordered some more too. She must be busy...2 to 3 weeks turnaround time now!

I've been fishing with a rod in one of her bags for the last 2 weeks now, each time I use it I'm blown away by the quality at that price.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Right that settles it I'm going to have a replica bag made. It's great that there are people out there with little businesses based on their own hand skills making all this wonderful stuff for others to enjoy.

Return to “Rod Bags by Ellen Lawrence”