When is a reel a classic?

The Other Reels forum.
Ron Clay

When is a reel a classic?

Post by Ron Clay »

Way back in 1994, I moved to Leamington Spa and shortly after that, Warwick.

One Saturday morning I popped into Bailey's of Warwick to get some bait. The owner was keen to show me the latest Shimano Stradic reel. On picking it up, I knew I had to have one, and hoping that my credit card account wouldn't complain too much, I paid for it - £122.00 I think.

This morning I was looking at the same reel. I marvelled at the fact that after 18 years of hard work, including salt water use, the reel, other than being a bit dirty, is still 100% mechanically perfect.

Now I have fished for over 60 years. You name the fixed spool reel and I have used it, Mitchell, Ambidex, Crosswind, Intrepid, ABU - all models the lot. Not one of them mechanically comes near this Shimano.

And the line roller still rolls.

Yet I am told that this reel will never achieve the classic status, because it is too good!

Am I getting too old, or am I going barmy?

St.John
Tench

Re: When is a reel a classic?

Post by St.John »

That's silly. After buying all sorts of modern baitrunners the only ones I have now are 3 shimano gte's. Can't fault them and they along with the three tony fordham carp rods they are on are the only modern kit I use. Never gone wrong, always reliable.
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

I have two early '90s Stradic X's. They are already absolute classics, I reckon. Far, far better than most of the current fixed spool reels out there.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

The notion that something can't be considered a classic because it is too good is totally flawed. It wouldn't be difficult to think of any number of products that are now considered classic because they were and remain so good at fulfilling the function for which they were designed. Products that become 'classics' were often revolutionary when they first reached their market.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I'm not sure which video it is or which Hardy reel Chris is using but why isn't alright for him to use whatever he chooses to?

The most awful racket I hear when fishing is either other anglers shouted conversations or their electronics, be it mobile phone or bite alarm.

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Probably an altex. I quite like the sound myself, and although not the most technically advanced reel in the world they have a certain no nonsense air about them. And they are pretty dam tough. The clutch is excellent along with the asthetics. My favorite fixed spool for close range fishing is a number 2. Its had carp to 21/5 on 8lb line. But yes, it is a little heart in mouth on that first run!
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I have an Altex no2 MkV, it's the second one I've owned and I agree the clutch is superb. For the sort of under the rod tip fishing I do it is quite capable and beautiful to look at.

I have to admit that I put it on the new Chapman rod I bought the other day and the combination brought a smile to my face. I figure I may as well use tackle that I like the look off, since I spend so much time just looking at it, when fishing.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

I agree with you both about the Altex reels. :thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Gurn
Chub

Post by Gurn »

I am secretly yearning for an Altex No2 MKV..I just start to think I can do without one then you lot start singing its praises again. :D . To me, a classic is something timeless, well made and aesthetically pleasing...If it's efficient, then that's a bonus.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Gurn

They are beautifully made. My father, who has an engineering background, was very impressed in the detailing of the design and of the build quality. They have one draw back: the spool is very shallow so I don't think you want to try fishing at any range with one. It's also quite a small reel which may put some people off. For me, along with the Mitchell 300/400 they are the classic carp reels. I like my Mitchells but I love the quirky looks and character of the Altex and the mix of metals they use makes the thing look fantastic.

Just to wet your appetite:
http://www.traditionalfisherman.co.uk/v ... ex&start=0

Return to “Other Reels”