grice and young

The Other Reels forum.
Davyr

Re: grice and young

Post by Davyr »

I've got one of those myself, which I bought new in 1977 for £5. Grice & Young were always at the "bargain basement" end of UK-made centrepins and the Jecta reels were their entry-level models. Not really free-running enough for trotting, but great for margin fishing for carp. They have a very loud check that produces a truly blood-curdling sound when a carp races off!

P.S. There are a couple of Jectas for sale on this website:

http://www.vintagefishingtackle.co.uk/c ... nreels.htm

Rather optimistically priced, in my opinion, despite being in excellent condition.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

The mottled paint finish is Finnegan's Hammerite, in a special colour mixed only for G&Y I think. It was only available to the public in certain shades and only by mail order, but industry used it in some other shades, but I've never seen that particular colour on anything else, so I think it was just for them.

If Wiki is to be believed( not always wise) it wasn't invented until 1962:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammerite

But the company was definitely Finnegan's not Flannigan's.

I think the Jecta Century was intended as a pike reel, but they do indeed make a good strong carp reel for margin work....and Davy's right about that check...loud enough to wake the dead!

I have an image of a G&Y poster that says the Jecta Century model 2 was a general purpose reel and came in deep and shallow spool versions. It cost £3 and the line guard was an extra 6/-. Sadly there's no date on the page, but it is from when purchase tax was applicable, so pre-dates VAT.

I can't post it as Tinypic is down :-(
perhaps yopu can see this...top right image:
gandy1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Well, they sort of do.....Grice and Youngs' reel designs are still made...in South Africa.

Not sure what models, or who does them now .... Chavender has some details....

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

That's it...Vivtek.

Return to “Other Reels”