Cardinal 44 stiff

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Cardinal 44 stiff

Post by Bobby Marlene »

Good morning gentlemen, I hope someone can help me with my Cardinal 44. When I got the reel it was running stiff. It still works when turning the handle but does not run freely. I opened the side plate, took out the old grease (which did not look too bad) and greased it. No change :Confused:
What else could I check to overcome the stiffness?
Many thanks, Bobby

Paul D

Re: Cardinal 44 stiff

Post by Paul D »

Think that's one for Nobby or Christopher (old tackle) :Hat:

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Bobby,
it could be the handle has a small washer missing from the threaded part that screws into the reel. Without the small washer the handle cup binds on the reel housing.
Just a thought.
Wal.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Those Abus have a long, long bush from main gear to handle...if that gets dry there's a huge amount of friction created because of the extensive surface area. I don't have one here at the moment to remind me how one dismantles it.....I think a pin has to drifted out to take the handle off and thus allow the main gear to be removed from inside the body cavity....????

It'd be nice to introduce some form of lubrication port if possible.

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

Thanks a lot boys, I start to check the washer of the handle, hope that´s it, if not I have to dig into the reel as Nobby suggested, I am not so good at this (I am an engineer :Hide: ). Many thanks, Bobby

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

Years ago when our old sea reels, mostly Abu's and Penns, started to stiffen up we removed the spools and if present fibre/clutch washers etc, then soaked them in paraffin and dumped them in an oil bath for a couple of days and that was considered a service!
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

Aquaerial wrote:Years ago when our old sea reels, mostly Abu's and Penns, started to stiffen up we removed the spools and if present fibre/clutch washers etc, then soaked them in paraffin and dumped them in an oil bath for a couple of days and that was considered a service!
Well, that´s the kind of service I like. :Hahaha:

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

Just some feed back to you. I treated it like a sea reel (perhaps it is one of Aquaerials old reels). A really good soaking in paraffin and some reelx and oil solved the problem. Running as smoothly as my other Cardinals. Good reels. Thanks a lot for your help :Hat:
Best, Bobby

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

Glad it worked Bobby- lovely reels that never need too much fettling unless someone has 'fettled' them in the past that is.
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”