Narrow part of the River Soar

This forum belongs to the other rivers.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Narrow part of the River Soar

Post by Mark »

The weather here today was lovely and with us having the Grandchildren staying this weekend I had not planned on going fishing but with me wanting to join a new club with about six waters scattered all over Leicestershire I decided to take a quick look at the nearest one, the River Soar only two miles from my house. I needed an hours escape while Grandma took over as chief Grandchild sitter as Granddad has been ran round ragged in the garden all morning bless them.

It is a good little stretch of about a mile plus with some very nice pools and deep runs, I have never seen this stretch before but always wondered who owned it as I have driven over it for many years. As you can see from the third picture come it can be a good three or four feet higher so it could fish even better in the winter.

I could not book the 16th off this year but I did manage to get the 17th, 18th and 19th off so I might give this section a try.

Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Re: Narrow part of the River Soar

Post by Loop Erimder »

I may just join too Mark. Looks nice. I'm not rejoining the syndicate lake but I have rejoined the police club again. I'll have a section of the Soar to fish at cotes mill. Plus the park section and the blythe so my rivers are sorted for the season and I'll fish the Idle too.
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Some lovely looking swims there Mark, Sir. Who needs Southern Chalk Streams ??? :Wink:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Loop Erimder wrote:I may just join too Mark. Looks nice. I'm not rejoining the syndicate lake but I have rejoined the police club again. I'll have a section of the Soar to fish at cotes mill. Plus the park section and the blythe so my rivers are sorted for the season and I'll fish the Idle too.
They also have a section of the Soar at Rothley Paul, here the river open up.
Mark (Administrator)

where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Trevor
Eel

Post by Trevor »

Looks like a lovely little stretch, with lots to explore.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I do! Hants Avon, Kennet, Frome, Itchen, Wey, Lambourn, etc! Loads of fishes --- and fishermen - unfortunately!

AndyPop
Silver Bream

Post by AndyPop »

Looks a fantastic stretch of water! I have a daily commute where I cross the river twice, once near its confluence with the Trent the other south of Leicester. The downstream end is my local go to stretch for a trotting session, but shamefully have to admit that I've never fished the river below Loughborough! I think the Jubilee Park stretch may get a couple of visits this year on my way from work.
"Carpe Diem" does not mean "fish of the day."

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

AndyPop wrote:Looks a fantastic stretch of water! I have a daily commute where I cross the river twice, once near its confluence with the Trent the other south of Leicester. The downstream end is my local go to stretch for a trotting session, but shamefully have to admit that I've never fished the river below Loughborough! I think the Jubilee Park stretch may get a couple of visits this year on my way from work.
Jubliee park fishes best in winter, I find it quite hard when the level is very low. There are 5lb+ chubs in there too
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Loop Erimder wrote:Jubliee park fishes best in winter, I find it quite hard when the level is very low. There are 5lb+ chubs in there too
And rumours of barbel.
Mark (Administrator)

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

I'm really going to have to get back to fishing rivers again... the Roding hererabouts has been ravaged and is a shadow of it's former self... the Lea is barren in sections. I may have to give the Chelmer a go as it's fairly local... the problem is that most of the running water is under club control and access is somewhat fractured unless you can afford multiple club books :Cry:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Return to “Other Rivers”