Creating a traditional fly reel, by J D Wagner USA

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
MHC

Creating a traditional fly reel, by J D Wagner USA

Post by MHC »

I briefly met Jim Wagner once, when he came to our Canadian Cane gathering a few years ago as a guest (professional) bamboo rod maker who had travelled up from Ohio. He struck me as enthusiastic, energetic and keen to share and learn.

Being on his mailing list, I read with interest of his bamboo rod making activities with his business partner and wife Casimira.

I see that he is now making some very beautiful fly reels in the American 'Vom Hofe' tradition. Read through the steps that it takes to become a reel maker, fascinating that he makes by hand every screw himself. Jewelery indeed.

http://www.wagnerrods.com/wagnersmallbatchreels.html

St.John
Tench

Re: Creating a traditional fly reel, by J D Wagner USA

Post by St.John »

They are lovely, amazing work. Puts another rod makers reels to shame.
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

Lovely reels and great to see the process... I am a sucker for 'S' handled, 'Vom Hofe', style reels though unfortunately they're usually out of my price range, that said I do own a Hardy Cascapedia which is my pride and joy. I also own 2 'zyz' reels from China which I have no complaints about and look great with cane.

Just out of interest, was it Vom Hofe that was the first to produce a reel of this style, black 'face' with 'S' shaped handle?

Thanks for sharing MHC :Hat:

MHC

Post by MHC »

I am not sure who came out with the first black bodied, serpentine handled reel, Zwarg or Vom Hoff.

Hardy's then emulated the design in the 1930's with their original Cascapaedia.

There are one or two contemporary reel smiths making trout and salmon reels with what is now known as the 'classic' design - Maurice Noel in Quebec and Ted Godfrey in the US being two.

Here is a small Ted Godfey reel, again each component hand made, this one has n/silver components including rims and screws which all line up .

Image Image

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

Lovely looking reel, thanks for sharing. I don't suppose you have an opinion on the Loop Classic at all? I looked at one before buying my Cascapedia... :Hat:

MHC

Post by MHC »

Loop Classics are modern CNC reels, I don't know anything about them though remember a review in Trout & Salmon magazine once. I am sure that there are on line reviews of them, as everything else.

There have been three versions of Hardys modern Cascapaedia, the first very expensive ones made in Alnwick which came in block leather cases, then the model (with even the handle drilled ith holes..) made in Korea, then the second model with solid handle and backplate. I quite fancied the largest sized one, but keep telling myself I have an Alnwick made Ocean Prince fly reel, which is more than adequate and very handsome.

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”