MK IV not close whipped

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
J.T
Catfish

Re: MK IV not close whipped

Post by J.T »

My MK IV 'Redmire Legends' that I had made by Andrew doesn’t have any intermediates as the original didn't, I prefer not having them as well. :)
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I much prefer cane rods without them. I think Walker called intermediates 'a load of old rubbish,' (somebody will expand on this quote I'm sure).
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

Beresford wrote: I think Walker called intermediates 'a load of old rubbish,' (somebody will expand on this quote I'm sure).
I think he said (in Stillwater Angling) something like "If you like them and are happy to pay for them then have them by all means - I prefer to do without and save my money" (or words to that effect, as I haven't got the book to hand).

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I've remembered now, it was, I'm sure a quote from Peter Stone who showed Walker a rod he'd made up from a J. B. Walker kit and added fine intermediates. Walker liked the rod but called the fine whippings 'a load of a old rubbish.' If I've got this right it's in a Carp World. They ran a few issues with articles about vintage rods so I bought and kept them (somewhere!).
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

If I had the chance and the money to own a MKIV I would take it as it comes with or without intermediates, would love a replica of JT's
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

David
Dace

Post by David »

Hi all. In 1960 I ordered a new B James MK1V Carp rod and at the same time my then friend ordered a MK1V Avon. When both rods were delivered to the dealer, we collected them together. I have to say that as we looked at both rods (they cost the same price I believe about £12) I have to say I felt so disappointed when comparing mine to his. My Carp rod had no intermediate whippings but had the usual agate type tip and butt rings, but my friends Avon not only had the agate tip and butt rings but also had all agate lined intermediate rings and intermediate whippings as well. His Avon looked fantastic but it made my Carp rod look so dull. Today I have 6 B James MK1V rods and I made sure all had intermediate whippings. I also have acquired 3 MK1V kit rods that were poorly built and I have completely rebuilt all from the from the bare cane up, including intermediate whippings. That is my preference. I know other people have different views on intermediates and I totally respect their views. Each to their own, as they say.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have 2 B James Mk IV Avons one with and one without - which has been restored!

They both catch fish!

David
Dace

Post by David »

Hi Olly. Your very lucky. Mine just sit there and look nice, and that's lucky for me as I don't like to bend them. ha, ha, ha.

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

I have a J B Walker mklV s/u that has few intermediates compared to most mklVs. I dont know if it came out of the factory complete or as a kit.
But i would like to find another similar to buy.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

BoltonBullfinch wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:31 am I have a J B Walker mklV s/u that has few intermediates compared to most mklVs. I dont know if it came out of the factory complete or as a kit.
But i would like to find another similar to buy.

Thanks
BB
It was J B Walker (Hythe, Kent) who Dick Walker used to supply him the blanks he used for making MK1V carp and Avon rods for himself and those he gifted to friends. The B James connection came well after this and I don’t really understand why their rods are coveted over the much superior blank of JBW……
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”