The Yorkshire Derwent

This forum belongs to the other rivers.
Phil Arnott
Chub

The Yorkshire Derwent

Post by Phil Arnott »

Although I travel all over the British Isles in pursuit of good sea fishing I mostly carry out my freshwater fishing within the boundaries of my native East Riding of Yorkshire. As I prefer river fishing I mostly fish the Hull and the Yorkshire Derwent which both fish well in the winter months.

Currently the Yorkshire Derwent receives little attention and it is not unusual to have a stretch of the river completely to yourself. I thought TFF members may like to know a little about the Yorkshire Derwent. The Derwent has some wonderful unspoilt sections which would certainly be appreciated by traditional anglers.

I’ve had some fine catches of fish from the river over the years but today I thought I would have a few hours trying for chub and had what I would class as a fairly typical day with nothing of any note but pleasant enough. I chose to fish a free stretch of the river and opted to ledger with bread and worm. It is unlikely that there was anyone else on the river up or downstream for many miles.

This is the view looking downstream from my swim

Here’s the upstream view

Once settled in my swim and waiting for a bite I glanced around the trees and listened hoping to see some wildlife. It was a surprisingly quiet at first but after a while I heard some tits peeping in the willows and at first saw a blue tit but this was followed by a flock of long-tailed tits. It would be pretty unusual to spend any length of time on the tree-lined sections of the Derwent without seeing these charming little birds. A little later a moorhen swam across the river just downstream. I had a few views of a Kestrel which perched in the trees on the far bank and came over to my side and hovered about 30 yards away. I’d heard the odd tapping in the trees and sure enough a great spotted woodpecker appeared and shimmied up a couple of branches before flying up stream. A buzzard flew overhead a little later and my last spot of the day apart from the numerous rooks and gulls flying over to the nearby wetlands was a jay which emerged from the trees on the far bank and flew across the river upstream of me. I didn’t see a kingfisher which is fairly normal on most stretches of the Derwent and there were no otters about which were present on the last two visits to this stretch.

I did spot this print a few feet from my swim which looks like otter.

I only had two bites, one on bread flake and the other on worm which produced two chub both around 2lb. Another day they may have been around 3lb or even 4lb but I was pleased enough to get a day out between the storms and before the river goes into flood again.

BendSomeCane
Crucian Carp

Re: The Yorkshire Derwent

Post by BendSomeCane »

Ah the derwent.. My recollection is that it's harder than a old brick !!
Has it changed ??
BSC
http://bendsomecane.blogspot.com/
By the grace of god a Yorkist

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Nice write up. Do you ever fish the Yorkshire Ouse? I use to fish it as a teenager and my neighbour caught the record brown trout from there at over 6lb (I think he caught it in the 60's. He had it stuffed and kept it over his mantle piece!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

BendSomeCane wrote:Ah the derwent.. My recollection is that it's harder than a old brick !!
Has it changed ??
BSC
Like all rivers it's not as good as in the past. You have to know what you are doing and fish the right areas. When did you fish it?

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

Santiago wrote:Nice write up. Do you ever fish the Yorkshire Ouse? I use to fish it as a teenager and my neighbour caught the record brown trout from there at over 6lb (I think he caught it in the 60's. He had it stuffed and kept it over his mantle piece!
I don't fish the Ouse as often as I should. It fishes very well at times with good catches of decent size bream and also some good roach catches.

Regarding big trout; Driffield Beck which is a tributary of the Hull produced some very large trout in the past with fish up to 17lb. These were wild cannibal fish and not stocked fish!

BendSomeCane
Crucian Carp

Post by BendSomeCane »

Hello Phil it was around 20years ago with some friends in and around stamford bridge , The river was summer level and nice and coloured but bites and fish were scarce. Friends tell me that its a loevel river but the fish arent spread evenly and holed up. I suppose its the same for many other smaller rivers its happening on the Don and Dearne right now.
BSC

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

I used to fish Stamford Bridge quite a lot at one time and had many decent catches of chub, dace and a few barbel. I had not fished it for years as I was a member of a syndicate which had the stretch above Stamford but last June I dropped in and fished below the bridge on the free stretch. I caught roach to 8oz, dace to 6oz and a 3lb bream for a weight of 8lb. These were caught trotting maggots.

Here's all my Derwent catches about 20 years ago 94 to 96

18-6-94 5 chub, 6 dace 1 roach total weight 12-0
26-5-94 3 perch, 1 chub, 1 bream, 3 roach, 2 dace, 1 gudgeon
27-6-94 10 roach 2 dace to 0-8 total weight 5-0
30-7-94 Roach, bream, perch, dace total weight 4-0
17-6-95 3 chub to 4-0, 8 dace 1 gudgeon total weight 9-0
24-6-95 Chub 5-2, 4-7, 3-15, 3-10, 2-6, 8 dace, 4 gudgeon total weight 21-8
1-7-95 Chub 3-10, 3-6, 2-14, 1-12, 1-8, 1 eel total weight 13-8
9-7-95 Chub 4-8, 4-4, 2-0, 1-0, 1 dace, 2 eels, 2 gudgeon, 1 roach total weight 13-8
26-8-95 4 perch, 5 roach, 10 gudgeon total weight 2-12
25-2-96 Roach 0-8, 0-12
1-3-96 1 chub 3-0
22-6-96 Chub 4-13, 4-5, 3-8, 2-8 total weight 15-2
14-7-96 Chub 1-4, 3-8, 4-11-8 total weight 9-7-8
4-8-96 Roach 0-10, chub 0-12, 1-8, 4-8 total weight 7-6
3-12-96 7 dace 11 roach to 0-6 total weight 2-8
11-12-96 1 perch 2 dace + roach to 0-10 total weight 5-13

There's a match held on the Derwent partly sponsored by the EA as a means of monitoring fish stocks. I help by stewarding it along with Kev Clifford (and a lot of others). The match results are very patchy and the Derwent has always been regarded as a poor match water but there were some good catches even though some good sections didn't fish well on the day. Most weights were of roach with some good chub over 4lb.

Below are the first 12 weights.

Section Weight (grams)
Barmby 6970
Bubwith 6780
Bubwith 5360
Barmby 5260
Barmby 5250
Bubwith 4120
Loftsome 3880
Bubwith 3480
Wressle 3300
Bubwith 3170
Barmby 2380
Howsham 2180
Last edited by Phil Arnott on Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

BendSomeCane
Crucian Carp

Post by BendSomeCane »

Very well done Phil . You certainly know that stretch . Do you think it's any better or worse than 20 yrs ago
BSC

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

Hi BSC,
we lost a lot of the big chub in the floods of recent years but the dace numbers have improved. The roach are very localised and in winter when the weed has died down they congregate where the cormorants don't go, so near boats and human activity or where the trees grow right over the river. The match results were from October last year. The winning catch was all roach and at 15lb is an excellent catch. I used to get good catches of roach but in recent years I've not managed to get on the river when it was in good condition and not in flood. Double figure catches of roach are well on the cards on some stretches. I've had a few nice catches of silver bream in the last few years with one catch of 15 fish, I also caught 4 grayling about 8 miles downstream of Stamford Bridge which is the lowest I've caught them on the river.
Regards,
Phil

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Very nice report and a good catch. :Thumb:
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Return to “Other Rivers”