Dave Austin landing nets and bank sticks

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Deaf Cat
Grayling

Re: Dave Austin landing nets and bank sticks

Post by Deaf Cat »

Then along with the dustpan and brush you will need a couple of large flowerpots and a large bag of John Innes No. 2 to plant them in!
Duffer - The man without skill of hand, without good eyesight and no longer young - the man who really ought to fish!
(H.M. Bateman / R.D. Peck)

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

Snape wrote:
J.T wrote:I just won a second pair of bank sticks off Dave on EBay.

That's my two rod support setup for Redmire sorted.... Assuming I can get them in the ground of course... :think:
Since they concreted all the swims that maybe a problem :sarcasm:
Never mind it was traditional lime based concrete! :hahaha:
Hmmm..... Some creative thought is needed... :think:
dgc2011 wrote:Then along with the dustpan and brush you will need a couple of large flowerpots and a large bag of John Innes No. 2 to plant them in!
Ah ha! :thumb:

Bugger, while I do have a rod pod (spits at the floor) I didn't want to have to use it! :cry:

Maybe I should have got the tripod as well... :think:
Last edited by J.T on Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Snape wrote:
J.T wrote:I just won a second pair of bank sticks off Dave on EBay.

That's my two rod support setup for Redmire sorted.... Assuming I can get them in the ground of course... :think:
Since they concreted all the swims that maybe a problem :sarcasm:
Never mind it was traditional lime based concrete! :hahaha:
Oops sorry that was just a disturbing dream I had!
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

Seriously for a second :chuckle: , are the swims ok for bank sticks?

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

J.T wrote:Seriously for a second :chuckle: , are the swims ok for bank sticks?
I've never had a serious problem although some of them are quite hard and stony so it not always easy.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Deaf Cat
Grayling

Post by Deaf Cat »

Well it might not go down well at the Holy of Holies but

there is currently an Atlas Copco Pixie Pneumatic Air Powered Hilti Diamond Core Drill Drilling Rig on a buy it now. :hahaha:
Duffer - The man without skill of hand, without good eyesight and no longer young - the man who really ought to fish!
(H.M. Bateman / R.D. Peck)

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

Snape wrote:
J.T wrote:Seriously for a second :chuckle: , are the swims ok for bank sticks?
I've never had a serious problem although some of then are quite hard and stony so it not always easy.
I will risk it I think but take a rod pod as backup. :thumb:
dgc2011 wrote:Well it might not go down well at the Holy of Holies but

there is currently an Atlas Copco Pixie Pneumatic Air Powered Hilti Diamond Core Drill Drilling Rig on a buy it now. :hahaha:
Will keep that as a backup plan. :hat:

Maggot's Dad

Post by Maggot's Dad »

Hi Chaps! :hat:

"good old Dave" eh? Clever fellow!
I first "won" a couple of pairs of his banksticks some years back via eBay.( I think it must have been when he first started). Lovely sticks with matching heads , one set whole cane and the other split.
Around the same time, I was fishing a Thames weirpool from the bank on a regular basis, which had a fair old drop to the water and made netting the resident Perch quite exciting! I was using my old Allcock folding circular net at the time on a standard length cane pole.
What I needed was a second cane pole which I could screw into the bottom of the first thereby doubling the length. I spoke with Dave and he duly presented me with a male version of the brass bush that was on my original pole. Once securely fitted onto the butt end of my original cane I just extended with another standard cane handle. That solved my problem!

Not long after that he made some more "one offs" for me.
I was spending a lot of time after the Kennet Barbel using an old rescued and restored cane (nothing fancy....no name but with some backbone to it). One particular swim had a b****y great bush in it and was best fished from the other bank. Once settled in opposite, the edge of the bush was only six feet away but had the biggest immovable snag you could ever imagine under it (probably a rooted branch as it had been there for some years!).
So if anyone was to win any ensuing battles it was going to be a case of "hit and hold". Well....I didn't have to do much hitting, if you weren't careful they would snatch the rod from your hands! You daren't leave the rod in a rest as when they picked up the bait, they were only six feet from the rod top!
To help steady the rod I queried the possibility of a nice short, but sturdy, built-cane bank stick coupled with a matching head with one short "arm" (such as the Barbel Boys now use as standard these days).
Dave came to my rescue, allowing me to sit well back from the water holding the rod but with it nicely supported and allowing me to strike out cleanly. Much fun was had! :cool:
I have since "won" one of his nice little tripods which allows me to use my precious canes on hard banks and keep the reels out of the mud and grit.
Nice one Dave! :thumb:

OldFellah

Post by OldFellah »

David made me a split cane carp net with 42 in arms and I must say it is a real delight to use. The arms are made from impregnated cane which serves to protect them from constant immersion in the water and the most surprising thing is that it weights little more than a similar size carbon net. Real quality !

Woodytia
Crucian Carp

Post by Woodytia »

I have a leger rod he restored, it even came with matching swingtips. It is one of my favourite rods.

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”