Is this worth bidding on?

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
MGs
Pike

Re: Is this worth bidding on?

Post by MGs »

Looks good to me. I'm not sure about the new handle but that is just a personal thing. The seller is a member on here. The Octofloat is a good all round rod.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

A nice all-round, general purpose bottom rod which I've heard of coping with carp up to 15lbs ... and being sold by a gentleman who is a TFF member whose work is highly regarded.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Blueavocet

Post by Blueavocet »

If I'm right, IJM is one of our very own forum members?! If true, then that should provide confidence Fred. You should in any case look at the track record of the seller, especially for remarks relating to past rods sold.

The rod looks in very good refurbished condition. The ferrules suggest quite an early model I think, so irrespective of who is selling, I then tend to ask them whether these are a firm fit. Good used condition to me means that the top bits don't fly off into the drink first cast. Octofloats for the officienados may not be top of the purist league, but I find them very pleasant rods to use. Hope this is of some help. With rods there is always some risk buying by photo, so the more you know about the track record the better. Bob

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

I'd bid on it mate, very good is our Lee.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Just i a bit of info on the rod.
When i got the rod all the rings were rusted and the cork on the handle was weak and ready to fall off but the cane was very good so the rod had to to go back on the bank.

The mid to tip ferrule is original but the butt to mid ferrule was worn so has been replaced.

Blueavocet is correct the rod is an early model, it had porcelain line butt and tip rings, these have been replaced with later agatine lined ones.

I can guarantee the tip section wont fly off into the drink first cast. :laugh1:

Thanks again everyone for your comment,s.

Lee.

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”