Edgar Sealey Roach Rods ... Like Buses ???

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Edgar Sealey Roach Rods ... Like Buses ???

Post by AshbyCut »

You wait for one for absolutely ages ... then two come along together !!!

Ever since I first saw mention of this rod (over two years ago) I had been keeping a weather eye out for one ... and had written one into my 'Bucket List' of rods. Nothing ... and then ... what do you know ... 2 come along together !!!

A certain auction site threw up one which needed a complete restoration ... and one which had been already restored. It was like waving a g&t with ice and lime under the nose of a thirsty man !!!

I went for the one which needed work ... of course ... but with 45 minutes to go my maximum bid was exceeded. The choice was taken out of my hands. I immediately did a 'buy it now' on the 'rebuilt' option.

I am, therefore, excitedly awaiting the delivery of a 2 piece, 10ft roach rod with a compound taper tip (clearly seen in the second photo) ... detailed in the Edgar Sealey Fishing Equipment 1964 Price List (page below) ... and I hope the seller won't mind me sharing a couple of his photographs before it arrives.

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Edgar Sealey Roach Rods ... Like Buses ???

Post by Dave Burr »

Give someone else a chance Mal :Happy: Unless you're going for the matching rods set up, have you got a bamboo rod pod?

MaggotDrowner
Sea Trout

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Nice one, AC!
Dave Burr wrote:Give someone else a chance Mal :Happy: Unless you're going for the matching rods set up, have you got a bamboo rod pod?
Is it Loop that has the bamboo tripods? :laugh1:

Only joking, Loop. I'm only jealous. :Wink:
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Lovely bit of kit. As someone who was also outbid on the rough one, I'm not jealous.............much
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Dave Burr wrote:Give someone else a chance Mal :Happy: Unless you're going for the matching rods set up, have you got a bamboo rod pod?
The 'Price List' recommends matching this rod up with a Sealey 'Floatqueen' reel ... and, quite coincidentally, I have one here waiting to be christened. :Wink:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Luga00
Brown Trout

Post by Luga00 »

You're giving yourself plenty of excuses to go for the flocast set, Mr AC :Hahaha:

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Luga00 wrote:You're giving yourself plenty of excuses to go for the flocast set, Mr AC :Hahaha:
Flocast for distance ... Floatqueen for close in. (Didn't we once have an emoticon that blushed ???)

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Your 1964 Sealey book is most interesting Mal. A breakdown of the various Flocast versions and a huge list of glass rods already available....very few cane rods. The Nufloat and Octofloat de-Luxe available together at the same time, and the Rover already history....a suggestion that there was never a 'light' ledger rod, and a Strikeright I'd forgotten all about.

We know the new two-fishes logo was already in use as well. It also seems we can now be sure that Sealey were using compound tapers before Terry Thomas joined them after Millwards dropped out of the tackle market.

All this from just a couple of pages from one book!!!!

These old catalogues are beyond price really. What I'd give to see a '58 or a '60.........

I have a '67...the only cane rods left are a double-built sea trout rod and the Octofloat de-Luxe.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

AshbyCut wrote:
The 'Price List' recommends matching this rod up with a Sealey 'Floatqueen' reel ... and, quite coincidentally, I have one here waiting to be christened. :Wink:
I think that if you and Bumble set out to fish each day with a different rod/reel combination you would need another life time to finish - especially as you keep adding to the list :Happy: Mind you, using a rod or reel for the first time is like all your childhood Christmas memories, and the first fish well, its always special.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Dave Burr wrote:I think that if you and Bumble set out to fish each day with a different rod/reel combination you would need another life time to finish.
Bumble and I are set to meet for the first time at The Old Estate Lake next Friday ... though how much fishing will be done remains to be seen ! :Wink:

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”