WHAT IS THE MOST UNUSUAL PLACE YOU HAVE EVER FISHED?

This forum belongs to other pools and lakes.
Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: WHAT IS THE MOST UNUSUAL PLACE YOU HAVE EVER FISHED?

Post by Dave Burr »

RBTraditional wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:47 am
Dave Burr wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:03 am The most unusual place I've fished is America. The people are all mad, insular, and think that debate means having more guns than the opponent. They think better is bigger in everything, and many of them support Trump. Unusual? I'd say if I had a dog that 'unusual' it would be an alligator.
A bit of generalisation going on there Dave, I have two very good friends who are Yanks, are both sane, neither hold a gun licence and neither would vote for dear old Donald, both love their angling at home and over here… bigger and better never seem to be words they use and if I may point out, if wasn’t for their forefathers we’d all be speaking German :Hat:

Generalisations are always good for a chuckle Rob, it helps the world go around. I'm sure that there are one or two decent Americans just as there are a variety of inhabitants to Kent and Herefordshire and, I have spent most of my American time in the South - nuff said.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Dave Burr wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:16 pm
RBTraditional wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:47 am
Dave Burr wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:03 am The most unusual place I've fished is America. The people are all mad, insular, and think that debate means having more guns than the opponent. They think better is bigger in everything, and many of them support Trump. Unusual? I'd say if I had a dog that 'unusual' it would be an alligator.
A bit of generalisation going on there Dave, I have two very good friends who are Yanks, are both sane, neither hold a gun licence and neither would vote for dear old Donald, both love their angling at home and over here… bigger and better never seem to be words they use and if I may point out, if wasn’t for their forefathers we’d all be speaking German :Hat:

Generalisations are always good for a chuckle Rob, it helps the world go around. I'm sure that there are one or two decent Americans just as there are a variety of inhabitants to Kent and Herefordshire and, I have spent most of my American time in the South - nuff said.
In your defence Dave, it was the lure anglers of the Deep South that came up with the Alabama Rig. Known to my very sane Anglophile American angling buddies, from Maryland and Michigan, as “The Idiot Rig”! :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Phil :Hat:
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

Back of the far island, Eagle pond Snaresbrook.

A significant length of corrugated iron fencing had been dismantled and thrown into the water. It created a knee deep " bridge " over deeper water. It was probably not too sensible to wade out on this metal and lower a single hook with maggots into the gaps. The bait could be seen clearly - changing to black as the perch came out to feed. I remember Gary putting his foot through an extra rusty- bit and calling for a ( fairly deep ) recovery and the " rescue " involving hanging soaking clothes over branches

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

Aitch wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:54 pm The Grand Harbour in Malta when I were nobbut a tot.. circa 1961/2... caught bootlace eels which my mum gave to the locals to thicken their soups and stews
I bought a coffee set in Valetta. We had done the stupid Brit thing and gone into town at noon. The shop had air con and was our refuge .

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

I fished quite a few unusual spots especially tiny little streams and rockpools. The spot on this web site, I never expected to fish but I did once and it was all above board. It was by invitation offered to a few of us by the fisheries department of the E.A. in an attempt to remove some of the carp which had been introduced. We seem to catch anything but the carp with all sort of coloured jobs and lots of rudd. We fished after the grounds were closed to the public and had an hour or so of fishing until the fish just stopped feeding. We surmised that they were used to being fed by the visitors and only fed around visiting times.

If you are in the area, do visit, it's a lovely spot. It has one of the best collections of water lilies in the country. You can buy fish food to feed the fish which will take food from your hands but I normally take my own.

The owner of the hall was Major Percy Marlborough Stewart who was a hunting shooting and fishing guy who made several trips round the world accompanied by his wife in pursuit of sport. He wrote two books about his exploits one of which "Round the World with Rod and Rifle" I have a copy.

https://www.burnbyhallgardens.com/

JAA
Crucian Carp

Post by JAA »

Innominate Tarn on Haystacks. Bloody nearly broke my leg on the way down.
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯ ><(((º>
Cole aka JAA
https://crucians.org/
https://www.anotherangler.net/

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

See, it's not just me,

MWithell
Chub

Post by MWithell »

I can't see any water.
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

Timothy Claypole
Bleak

Post by Timothy Claypole »

Not sure it’s the most unusual place per se, but to fish at Skip Bridge on the river Nidd requires traversing the lay-by that is renowned as a “doggers” hot spot 😬
"Fishing is a philosophy. A philosophy of earth, and growth, and quiet places. In it there is a rule of life, a recognition of permanences."

Bernard Venables

Wanderer
Arctic Char

Post by Wanderer »

Timothy Claypole wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:00 pm Not sure it’s the most unusual place per se, but to fish at Skip Bridge on the river Nidd requires traversing the lay-by that is renowned as a “doggers” hot spot 😬
Do you go there often Timothy ? :eyebrow:
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

Return to “Other Pools and Lakes”