Further letters of Dick Walker

This forum belongs to Dick Walker.
Richard C
Brown Trout

Re: Further letters of Dick Walker

Post by Richard C »

A privilege to share your personal letters from RW. Thoroughly enjoyed reading those, thank you.

A sense of relief noting RW's explanation of a blank or a string of blank sessions. So much more satisfying knowing that someone with Dicks know-how experiences days when you can't even buy a bite.

Winner of the (non existent) monthly thread topic award. Bravo! :Thumb:
Last edited by Richard C on Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.".
T. S Eliot
http://richard-cleaver.blogspot.co.uk/

Carp Artist
Arctic Char

Post by Carp Artist »

:Hat: Fantastic. Thanks for posting them Mark and a big thanks to Roger for sharing them with us.. :Thumb:
Not a fish was visible that first time I visited Beechmere; an utter
stillness brooded over the place and I felt the strange and sinister atmosphere which, so the story goes,
has been the cause of several suicides.’
BB – Confessions of a Carp Fisher

Mark99
Perch

Post by Mark99 »

Dave Burr wrote:Brilliant, I love that he signed off as 'Dick' by the third letter as a bond had doubtless formed. He certainly went the extra mile when answering correspondence and was a top man.

I've always said that fishing is full of contradictions and even RW falls into the trap. On the second letter he opens with comments about 'fish not being worried about how thick your line is' then later in the letter explains that people using 30lb line will never get a bite. I'm not having ago at our greatest angler but it does underline how there are very few Never's and Always' in fishing.

I always remember DW stating that fish do not care how thick your line is - thickness of line is immaterial with respect to fish "seeing it" - but he did sagely add it's the effect of the stiffness of the line on bait presentation that was the issue.....the bigger the diameter, the more line "stiffness" affected to hookbait ....so I'm not sure he fell into a trap as such.

Return to “Dick Walker”