Post by Davyr »

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Re: Matt Hayes new centre pin.

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Very interesting, thanks for that..... :thumb:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

GarryProcter
Arctic Char

Post by GarryProcter »

Made me feel like I was back 'home'. From my bedroom widow I could see both bottle kilns and a pit head. All gone now of course. Compared to my uncle, all the people speaking the dialect in those videos were as clear as day! And it's only in the past year that I learned the origin of 'duck' as used in the Potteries dialect. It's still widely used.

<Edit> Sorry - forgot to say thank you for posting the link.

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

GarryProcter wrote: And it's only in the past year that I learned the origin of 'duck' as used in the Potteries dialect. It's still widely used.
Which reminds me, in turn, of how a lot of the word-play in "The Beano" must have gone over the heads of most kids reading it - I remember a Biffo The Bear storyline from the 1960s that hinged on a pun involving "ducks" (the birds) and "dux" the archaic term of respect for a school pupil who came top of the class in the end-of-year exams (a similar derivation to the Potteries term).

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Well the reels look really nice. They spin well and there is little in the way of resistance. They will be perfect for float fishing the margins. Can't wait to use them....

SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Those boxes do look better that the barder one! Nice looking reels as well. Nice one stoo!
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Leveller
Rudd

Post by Leveller »

Stu, I worked in stoke for about 15years, I worked with a lad from Pompey, I used to thing he spoke funny and used to nod and smile at him most of the time, next time you come to stoke, instist on having a bacon and cheese oatcake,
Dunner fe ge fe saey awyergerron wit thee rails orayt

Don't forget to say how you get on with the reels alright

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

The wife's mum visits a lot and always brings oatcakes back with her, loads of them. Bacon and cheese is my favourite combo too!!

Looking forward to testing the reels out. Thinking of using thinners to remove the writing on the back and having something engraved. Perhaps a picture of a carp and "The Sweetcorn Kid" or something along those lines.....
SK
The Compleat Tangler

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Leveller
Rudd

Post by Leveller »

Good idea but, I once very nearly did that to a jv vintage stratocaster , so glad I didn't. jv strats turned out to be extremely collectable, in original condition because everyone had the same idea as me,

Leveller
Rudd

Post by Leveller »

Saw matty today on the tv, I think it's a newer program, 24hour rod race, anyway, his challenge was to catch a five pound chub, he spent a lot of time trotting various swims in the river with a stick float, he still didn't use a pin! What a fraudster, cool hat though.

Return to “Other Reels”