What are you reading?

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Aitch
Pike

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Aitch »

Rob Olsen's Waterlust... superb...
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Derek Jarmans Modern Nature. 50% of this book, a diary, is an account of his attempt to make a garden at Prospect Cottage a timber building on the shoreline in the shadow of Dungeness power station.some lovely descriptions of the skies and seas around this unique habitat. A large chunk of the remainder of the writing is influenced by his sexual orientation and his battle with AIDS so may not be everyone's cup of tea.

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

Barbara Tuchman " The Guns of August" and looking at the lovely photographs in "One Man One Rod"
Mark Davies

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Daniel Defoe Journal of the Plague Year, available free here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Journal-Plague ... 201&sr=8-5 then this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plague-Penguin ... 450&sr=8-1. If only to see what can be learned.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

CrayCane wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:48 am Just started reading 'Searching for a Rise' by Adrian Latimer.
Just received 'Flyfishing the high country' the only one of John Gierach's books I haven't read yet.
Pete
How are getting on with the Adrian Latimer book? Would you recommend?

I love Fly Fishing The High Country, can't go wrong with JG. :Hat:

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

I'm just about to turn my attention to 'The Pike of Broadland'. It arrived a few days ago, £20 delivered from Harpers, cheap as chips....

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

Oh for God's sake! This thread is costing me a fortune!

Currently reading this...

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

I do like John Gierach :Thumb: I think I'll re read Trout Bum for the umpteenth time - it's a modern American classic for sure. Currently part way through both Ian Niall 'Trout from the Hills' and 'A Fowler's World' with excellent illustrations by CF Tunnicliffe. Everything I've read by Niall has been superb. Highly recommended :Hat:

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

Scott wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:11 pm
CrayCane wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:48 am Just started reading 'Searching for a Rise' by Adrian Latimer.
Just received 'Flyfishing the high country' the only one of John Gierach's books I haven't read yet.
Pete

In truth I've only read one chapter of Adrian Latimers book so far Scott. It's by my bedside but I keep falling asleep before I get very far :Hahaha: not a reflection on the book I'm sure.

There's a new John Gierach book due out soon but here is a nice article from him in Grays Sporting Journal: https://www.grayssportingjournal.com/fr ... tion-2019/

Pete

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

CrayCane wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:59 pm
Scott wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:11 pm
Pete

In truth I've only read one chapter of Adrian Latimers book so far Scott. It's by my bedside but I keep falling asleep before I get very far :Hahaha: not a reflection on the book I'm sure.

There's a new John Gierach book due out soon but here is a nice article from him in Grays Sporting Journal: https://www.grayssportingjournal.com/fr ... tion-2019/

Pete
Thanks for this link, much appreciated! I haven't read GSJ before, but I'm liking the look of it, plenty to get stuck into. I see there's an article in this issue from Nigel Ling, he used to be a member of this forum.

:Hat:

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”