Chris Yates Tackle

This forum belongs to Chris Yates.
Blunderer
Bleak

Re: Chris Yates Tackle

Post by Blunderer »

I wonder how much Chris's success is down to the fact that he and Rod Hutchinson were drawn together in that first week at Redmire in the early 70s? Or perhaps a bit of both. I wonder if either man would have become as successful without the other?

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

They were both very accomplished in their own right. Neither of them would have found themselves accepted into the Redmire syndicate any other way.

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Great articles in Angling, one was called "Blow Pipes and Plastic Pigs" as I recall.

Gaz

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Shaun Harrison wrote:They were both very accomplished in their own right. Neither of them would have found themselves accepted into the Redmire syndicate any other way.

I feel certain that must be so, but Chris does say in his writings that he sort of bluffed his way into getting the invitation to join the syndicate and that he wasn't a very accomplished carp angler prior to then.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

CWK
Perch

Post by CWK »

RBTraditional wrote:You are right Snape. There's just a little too much hero worship going on here in this post.... all a bit embarrassing really, scenes of screaming girls waiting for a glimpse of the latest boy band spring to mind. Although Mr Yates has undoubtedly inspired some TFF members to fish the way they do with vintage tackle etc, it must be remembered that he is a human being just like the rest of us, he has no duty to be seen by his "fans" and I'm sure he is just a regular guy, admittedly one who has a great gift of writing. I have had the pleasure of meeting other "greats" of angling over the years and most of them don't believe in their own hype, they are just normal, enjoy a pint and a chat... to put it bluntly. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Mr Yates's books and articles very much, but I suspect he'd find some of these posts a bit OTT..............
I absolutely agree with every word you've written . Let's not descend into psychophantic hero worship please .

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

There probably isn't a reel Chris hasn't tried...I even recall images of him using an Omnia!

I suspect he wanted to try British reels, I don't recall images of him fishing with any weird and wonderful foreign reels, indeed I don't recall any foreign reels bar the obvious Mitchell.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Julian wrote:
Shaun Harrison wrote:They were both very accomplished in their own right. Neither of them would have found themselves accepted into the Redmire syndicate any other way.

I feel certain that must be so, but Chris does say in his writings that he sort of bluffed his way into getting the invitation to join the syndicate and that he wasn't a very accomplished carp angler prior to then.
Remember it was Chris's second time around as a Redmire syndicate member when he landed 'The Old 38' which later became known as the Bishop. He was an accomplished angler who had also been putting pen to paper on the subject for a considerable time prior to the capture of 'the Old 38'.

Paddex

Post by Paddex »

Nobby wrote:... I don't recall images of him fishing with any weird and wonderful foreign reels, indeed I don't recall any foreign reels bar the obvious Mitchell.
In The Compleat Angler Carp episode he fishes an ABU Cardinal, Nobby (and with a huge net and a nice looking rod)

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Paddex wrote:
Nobby wrote:... I don't recall images of him fishing with any weird and wonderful foreign reels, indeed I don't recall any foreign reels bar the obvious Mitchell.
In The Compleat Angler Carp episode he fishes an ABU Cardinal, Nobby (and with a huge net and a nice looking rod)
see page 2 of this thread to see the reel and the net
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

In the caught in time dvd he did with H Miles he uses an ABU (a 44 I think).
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Return to “Chris Yates”