does any body else collect leather bound books

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Skeff
Crucian Carp

Re: does any body else collect leather bound books

Post by Skeff »

Thanks - Great to hear you enjoyed it RR....

Best.
Skeff

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Skeff wrote:Personally I buy books to read, just like vintage tackle is bought to be used.... If using the tackle or reading the book devalues it from a collecting point of view, so be it - that isn't a point of view that informs my purchase. If the said items do go up in value, that may be a bonus for someone at some point ion the future but not me, because I won't part with the item anyway.

The joy of a cane rod is in it's action and the joy of a book in the written word therein.

I do have a small number of leather bounds, but these are books that were of particular interest and I wanted copies that marked their importance (The Carp Catcher's Club letters being an example). If, like the Colonel) you have a love of leather than that's lovely and I understand fully the love of quality and the aesthetic pleasure of such volumes; it's just not for me on my limited budget!
Very well put Skeff, I don't understand keeping hundreds or rods or reels displayed and never used. It's same for books, do collectors really buy books, not read them in the hope they will be worth more in the future?. If you budget reaches to leather books by all means buy them as they are wonderful things but please read them otherwise it's an insult to the author. This is just my view and no offence is meant to collectors but to me thing should be used for what they were made for.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

I collect books and also read them that's what there for same with fishing tackle its just that I don't collect rods and reel as prefer a good read

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

all my books are like my fishing gear..... well used.. :Thumb: :Hat:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

that's how fishing tackle should be but I try to keep my books nice and cleen but I read and brouse them most days

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Me too, but I do read a lot... As ColonelGSC mentioned, the enjoyment can be enhanced with a good leather chair and a glass of something nice, I find that a good chair and something nice to drink is too conducive to nodding off, so I read where I cannot nod off :Cool:

Colonelgsc
Roach

Post by Colonelgsc »

Bluelabel wrote:Me too, but I do read a lot... As ColonelGSC mentioned, the enjoyment can be enhanced with a good leather chair and a glass of something nice, I find that a good chair and something nice to drink is too conducive to nodding off, so I read where I cannot nod off :Cool:
Nothing quite like drifting off into that post luncheon state of semi-consciousness, BL, whether one has a book in one's hand or not.......or seated in a comfortable leather chair, or at the waterside under the shade of an ancient willow, to the drone of myriad insects, birds chattering, reeds rustling. Mmmmmmmm, I can feel myself sinking away right nowwwwwww............

"If you can wait, and not be tired of waiting......" Kipling

Nailbourne

Post by Nailbourne »

To return to an earlier post on this thread, I'm not too concerned with the wrapper of the book - it can be gold leaf-embossed Russia leather or cloth. That bothers me less than the interior (and I don't mean the written content). When I open a book, I want it to lie flat without having to force it open, as one does with a paperback. One will only get this with a thread-bound book.

I've owned books over four hundred years old and they've always done this. Some modern hardbacks have collapsed within a couple of years of hard reading. They're a bit like a Bentley with a Ford engine - looks good but has no substance.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

They're a bit like a Bentley with a Ford engine - looks good but has no substance.
A bit like the current Bentley Continental with the Audi lump in it... :Hahaha:

Nailbourne

Post by Nailbourne »

Nah! An Anglia engine!

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”