Chris Yates Tackle

This forum belongs to Chris Yates.
Hamburger
Rudd

Re: Chris Yates Tackle

Post by Hamburger »

The only known recording of a tinnitus, by the way.
I said goodbye to what I knew and embraced the ways of old, with it taking on the attitude that big isn't best.

Stuart Harris, 'From Carbon to Cane'

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF »

I’ve seen that film before. I thought it was a Harry Enfield sketch. :Hahaha:
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

That looks like the worst peg I've ever seen. There must not and will not be any vegetation in my peg, or I'll be to sedate!
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Not sure that the film advances the cause at all although I did like the Milesesque shot over the shoulder, zooming in on the float as it sailed away. But fishing over stocked puddles with traditional gear is, in my opinion, somehow missing the point.

It was though an excellent opportunity to describe what my tinnitus is like to the misses.

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

Firebird wrote:
JimmyBobkin wrote:Not sure I agree with this point. I knew a few characters, around the early and mid 70s, who chose to use old tackle in preference to modern stuff even before CY became a celebrity in the angling world. Prior to the record catch at Redmire I had never heard of him.
I must admit I often wonder whether we would ever have heard of him were it not for that carp. He writes well, yes, but the publication of fishing books is pretty much independent of the quality of the writing in my view.
In terms of living writers, I do think he is our best fishing writer by a steady mile. However, I don't believe he's written any book equal to the poetry and haunting power of Confessions, but that's just my personal view...
I knew vaguely of Chris Yates, before he caught the Bishop, because a picture of him -with the Pot of Gold - was featured in a re-print copy of Still Water Angling, - which, as a snotty-nosed youngster, I'd borrowed from the local library. I remember thinking, "Good God, what an amazing fish..." and "Good God, what a hippy!" :Happy: :Sun:

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Chris was very well known and regarded before he landed the Bishop. He wrote in monthly magazines and his quirky methods and tackle seemed as unusual then as they do now. His fishing on Redmire was well documented especially if you were and ardent reader of Rod Hutchinson and when the Bishop came along I like many others, thought just how apt it was that he of all people should take the record.

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

Yes I recall as a young lad reading some great articles written by Rod (or maybe Chris or both) in the marvellous "Angling" magazine on their exploits at Redmire and in particular their experiments with particles and their success eventually with sweetcorn. I had no idea what tackle they were using, it wasn't important.

It seemed groundbreaking, to me, at the time and led to a campaign with chick peas and on to my first 20 !

Wish I'd kept those copies of "Angling"; I religiously cut out all the carp articles for safe keeping, which I have duly lost over the years :Brickwall: , or are they up in the loft somewhere :Wink:
Best Fishes
Mushy

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

He endorsed Grice and Young reels . . . .

...... but (from the same magazine) this is clearly a Mitchell !

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Ah, but that's only a small carp (as in "anyfink under firty don't count").....he probably reserved the pin for the biggies as the advert suggests...... :Hahaha:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

Thankyou Dave - I thought I was having a senior moment earlier ! Yes...Mr Yates and Mr Hutchinson were indeed writing and publishing prior to the "big carp"...and influencial they were then as well.....both in my opinion provided a fascinating insight and commentary on carp fishing in particular in the 70's and 80's.......

Return to “Chris Yates”