Edgar Sealey ... un-named (as yet) 10ft 6in.

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Edgar Sealey ... un-named (as yet) 10ft 6in.

Post by AshbyCut »

My word Bata, Sir ... those rods look beautiful against the background of the lake, looking obviously ready for action ... and the standard of your work in restoring them looks superb.

I was sure that I had found something a little 'special,' but your words in praise of these rods has left me a bit speechless.

I'm hoping that I will be able to take it to the forum AGM in June, so that I can get the opinion of others more experienced in carping tackle than I.

I will keep you informed about my progress in it's restoration.

Thank you !!!
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

In case you thought I'd forgotten this rod, I finally got round to getting it ready for the bank.

As it was generally in such good original condition, I decided to simply re-whip one one guide which needed it ... and attempted to match the thread with a touch of watercolour paint from my box ... not perfect, but I like the look of the rod having some 'history.'

As the only bits of transfer left were the Sealey 'two fish' symbol, I saved this of course ... but being convinced (see back in this thread) of what the rod is I made and applied a transfer as shown below :-

A couple of coats of varnish over the transfers, followed by a couple over entire rod, and I hope it will see action in the coming year.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Sounds very nice Mal, good luck with it.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Having finally obtained the 1967 "Sealey Fishing Manual" the mystery is solved.

The Peter Butler 'Specimen Hunters' are shown in detail in an article entitled "Big Roach from Reservoirs", and are hollow glass, not split cane. There were 3 versions ... the Mk 4 Barbel (11ft), the Mk 5 Carp (10ft 6in), and the Mk 6 Roach (11ft 6in), all priced at £9 17s 8d (£9.88p)

However, tucked away at the bottom of the 'Float Rods' section, without illustration, is the following :-

"The Peter Butler Mark 2 Carp Rod. An outstanding rod in close whipped split cane, with fast sensitive tip and stiff butt and middle. Three piece short butt construction, fitted with gold carbide butt and end rings. Whippings - plum. Length 10 1/2 ft. Price £11 14s 2d." (£11.71p)

I've therefore taken the liberty of making a new transfer for the rod detailing this, as I am now 100% sure that this is what it is.

Last edited by AshbyCut on Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Excellent Mal

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Very very nice Mal! But completely useless for your tiddler extraction!

Best I take it off your hands next time I see you :Thumb:
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”