NuFloat

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
The VFC
Brown Trout

Re: NuFloat

Post by The VFC »

Agree wholeheartedly with all of the above: that's one knackered bit of cane. I'm so sorry that your first outing into vintage cane has turned out a little sour - but please don't give up on it!
Jim

MaggotDrowner
Sea Trout

Post by MaggotDrowner »

I will deficiently be sending it back and asking for postage to be paid. I'm not going to suggest not sending it back. He might think there's nothing wrong with it and that I want it for free if I do that.

There isn't any value in the ferrules. They're wrecked. One has a split in which prevents the tip section being slotted onto the rod. The male part of the other ferrule falls off and the female part is chipped around the top. The rings are okay, but I'm fairly sure they will not be originals.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

MaggotDrowner
Sea Trout

Post by MaggotDrowner »

I've got a full refund and they said I could keep the rod. Is there a way to fix the split in the cane, (by whipping around it or something) or is it only fit for the bin or selling as spares on eBay?
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

You could whip over the entire split and fish with the rod after doing something with the ferrules. If nothing else it's good to practice these old skills.

I think I'd stick to light lines though...one big chub or a small carp and it'll only be good for the runner beans.

JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Nobbys right, It would be good to learn the skills of refurbishment on.

MaggotDrowner
Sea Trout

Post by MaggotDrowner »

I agree. I was getting excited to fix the rod until I found the split, which was unacceptable. I'm still looking forward to working on it. I think it will just be for tiddler bashing in the winter. Nothing too heavy.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Gord
Crucian Carp

Post by Gord »

thats a good shout because on that rod theres not much else could go wrong with it so if you can do that rod you should be able to do any thing else that needs a tidy up unless you get another lemon, once bitten twice shy if you do buy on ebay just take the advice of the gentlemen on this forum and ask plenty of questions
when you are going through hell just keep on going (winston churchill)

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Dear friends,does any body know any information on the 11ft Nufloat ,looks simiular to lucky strike but 6 inches longer,can't understand why the butt ring is not lined ,is this another cost saving?I am thinking of buying one?Reelmaker.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

There's two versions of the Nufloat, one with black transfers and the last ones with white. Both need careful examination as these late rods are very prone to losing their varnish...or perhaps it's more accurate to say the 'new' polyeurethane varnish on them is flaky. Either way the weather gets in and they often have cane delamination or rot issues.

As to the butt ring I can't help...I had thought them to have lined ones.

As I understand it they are a continuation of the Octofloat, an allround rod that can cope with fish up to ten pounds just, but are a tad heavy in the tip, consequently, for fishing for smaller fish.

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

Nobby wrote:There's two versions of the Nufloat, one with black transfers and the last ones with white. Both need careful examination as these late rods are very prone to losing their varnish...or perhaps it's more accurate to say the 'new' polyeurethane varnish on them is flaky. Either way the weather gets in and they often have cane delamination or rot issues.

As to the butt ring I can't help...I had thought them to have lined ones.

As I understand it they are a continuation of the Octofloat, an allround rod that can cope with fish up to ten pounds just, but are a tad heavy in the tip, consequently, for fishing for smaller fish.
I bought a tatty Nufloat with the black transfers which I restored. The rings and whippings all looked original (that nice pale green) and the butt ring was indeed unlined, with a white ceramic-lined tip ring. So far it has coped with carp up to 7lb+ though that was pushing it!
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”