Yatesy's Barderised FJT Roach Rod

This forum belongs to Chris Yates.
Snape
Bailiff

Re: Yatesy's Barderised FJT Roach Rod

Post by Snape »

st.john wrote:
greentura wrote:
On the subject of hero worship, or just wanting an item that connects you with a, so called, 'legend' whether living or not, there should be a thread to list all rods, or any other tackle come to that, that was once owned by anglers of note and their whereabouts, if they are restored, original, in a glass case or still landing fish. Maybe more than just a thread, a section of forum to it's self. Why not section it by each angling legend. People can add each piece of tackle that is attributed to them as it is found, bought or seen in a museum, a sort of national register of noteworthy anglers tackle.
I think that's a bloody good idea .
Hear, hear.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Ok chaps I like it. :thumb:

So if I am reading this correct you want a separate forum for each Famous Angler in there own forum section.

See this link in Chris Yates that I have just set up and me know if that is what you mean before I set them all up.

http://www.traditionalfisherman.co.uk/v ... m.php?f=18
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

I was thinking more along the lines of 'Famous Anglers Tackle, where is it now' as a section in the 'Famous anglers' section and a thread for each angler added as items were found within that section so as to keep all the tackle in one box so to speak but i like your idea too

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

I see what you mean, have a look now.
Mark (Administrator)

where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

Nearly there :wink: If I may put it as a site tree :- 'Board index>>The Hall of Fame>>Tackle Once Owned by Famous Anglers' then each Angler as a thread opened by whoever has a piece of information to add. Threads possibly headed like "Chris Yates's Fred J Taylor roach rod" then a listing of how the rod had been came by, a brief history of previous ownership and some pictures. After that, as these items eventually do, when it changes hands the new owner could be encouraged to add an update, or if the rod was seen either on the bank or, as with some rods, in a collection or museum. A detailed online provenance could be established, as is the case in the art world, and fakes or lookalikes that come to market can be shown for what they are.

Hermit
Rudd

Post by Hermit »

I think this is a brilliant idea.

It may be that some private owners of such items are reluctant to provide their identity and the whereabouts of the 'treasures'. There are many reasons why perhaps they would not but if we were able to obtain a generic response along the lines of whether, for example, items remain in the UK or abroad, whether they are in use or in a museum and so on we could populate a data base with what we do know. That would be extremely valuable and welcome.

I am no expert in this but I should think managing a data base of information which identifies individuals or organisations and provides information of their possessions brings in data protection issues which could be a problem to manage? Apologies if I've interpreted the original concept incorrectly.

A very generic, simple data base would perhaps avoid these issues and be very useful. I recoil at the thought of all those items rooted in the heart of British Angling history which we lose as they find their way across the water.

Thanks Greentura for getting this going, by profession I am cautious but don't wish to dampen the initiative.
Fishing is worth no more than its pleasure. Bernard Venables.

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

As I see it, the poster of the thread would be able to give as much or as little information as they feel comfortable giving, for instance....

'My Fred J Taylor roach rod was originally owned by Peter Stone and around 1995 it was given to the man i bought it from, on the understanding it would be repaired and used. That repair, or rather full rebuild, was carried out by Edward Barder to his usual superb standard for the last owner who after some time decided that he was not using it as Peter had requested and after it failed to sell on eBay i made and had accepted an offer. it has now been in my possession for just over 2 years and was used as a general float rod for heavier fish including a tench of just over 8lb this years opening season week.'

I'd rather keep the price and the name of the person that i bought it from away from the post but if he decides to add to the thread then that's fine as long as the subject of money doesn't arise. so as you see, as much or as little as your happy to let the world know, incidentally, I still chuckle at the thought of the email I received when a second FJT from the same seller came on the market after i had posted on another forum that "i would not be selling my one and it would have to be pried from my cold dead hands", the email read "Andy, are you all right? i saw your rod for sale... the conditions for me letting it go have not changed by the way, and they are still that if i don't use the rod it will be passed on to someone that will, as per Peter's wishes, but i think i will be fishing the pond eternal with Izaak before that happens :wink:

Hermit
Rudd

Post by Hermit »

Sorry, just distracted for a moment by that lovely presentation. :mrgreen:

Yep, I get the idea that information would be supplied voluntarily. It seems logical that by doing so the individual consents. Common sense says that there could not possibly be an issue arising from information so provided. I just raised the flag of caution as I have been briefed on this data protection legislation previously and some of it didn't make any sense at all. It's not my field of expertise so I shall retire.

I think the concept is absolutely sound and I'm really looking forward to it getting going. :thumb:
Fishing is worth no more than its pleasure. Bernard Venables.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

greentura wrote:Nearly there :wink: If I may put it as a site tree :- 'Board index>>The Hall of Fame>>Tackle Once Owned by Famous Anglers' then each Angler as a thread opened by whoever has a piece of information to add. Threads possibly headed like "Chris Yates's Fred J Taylor roach rod" then a listing of how the rod had been came by, a brief history of previous ownership and some pictures. After that, as these items eventually do, when it changes hands the new owner could be encouraged to add an update, or if the rod was seen either on the bank or, as with some rods, in a collection or museum. A detailed online provenance could be established, as is the case in the art world, and fakes or lookalikes that come to market can be shown for what they are.
How this now greentura.
Mark (Administrator)

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

Just right i think Mark. The ball is now rolling with my FJT. Any one else cre to post a thread :thumb:

Return to “Chris Yates”