Quest for Carp by Jack Hilton

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Re: Quest for Carp by Jack Hilton

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

Davyr wrote:
Weyfarer wrote: But....what school did you go to, mine was Holy Trinity at the bottom of Pewley Hill.
I lived (and went to primary school) in West Norwood, in South-East London! After two unsuccessful fishing trips on the Thames at Chertsey and Hampton Court, my Dad (who wasn't an angler) asked a work colleague (who was) for advice, and he suggested trying the Wey.

Dad had an old motorbike and sidecar combination, so we all piled in (Dad on the bike, Grandad on the pillion, Gran in the back and Mum and I squashed in the front of the sidecar) and headed off down the A3 for the first of many trips to Guildford.

I used to fish while the others had a picnic on the grassy area between the river and the canalised stretch. It was some time before I felt confident enough to cross the grass and fish proper running water and even longer before I progressed from minnows and dace to the chub that lurked under the trees on the opposite bank.

Happy days!

And with the current prices of classic motorcycles- if you still had the bike you could lease "our stretch" of river for 3-4 years with the proceeds!

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Received my book but its not 1st edition its 4th but its in great condition and for £16 well chuffed
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

was it the little egret version of the book loop

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Mazza wrote:was it the little egret version of the book loop
I saw if but I can't remember I think so :Confused:
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Loop Erimder wrote:
Mazza wrote:was it the little egret version of the book loop
I saw if but I can't remember I think so :Confused:

Pelham books

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

No matter what the edition it is a lovely read Loop.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

great read loop you will enjoy it

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Davyr wrote:
Weyfarer wrote: But....what school did you go to, mine was Holy Trinity at the bottom of Pewley Hill.
I lived (and went to primary school) in West Norwood, in South-East London! After two unsuccessful fishing trips on the Thames at Chertsey and Hampton Court, my Dad (who wasn't an angler) asked a work colleague (who was) for advice, and he suggested trying the Wey.

Dad had an old motorbike and sidecar combination, so we all piled in (Dad on the bike, Grandad on the pillion, Gran in the back and Mum and I squashed in the front of the sidecar) and headed off down the A3 for the first of many trips to Guildford.

I used to fish while the others had a picnic on the grassy area between the river and the canalised stretch. It was some time before I felt confident enough to cross the grass and fish proper running water and even longer before I progressed from minnows and dace to the chub that lurked under the trees on the opposite bank.

Happy days!
This brings back memories for me. My father had a motorbike and sidecar combination for years. This was the Harrison mode of transport when I was a nipper. We went on many a holiday with my my father on the bike with loads of bags strapped on and my mother, sister and me squeezed into the sidecar.

On holiday in Swanage the bike broke down so my Grandfather drove down from his home in Beeston, Nottingham and towed my Father all of the way back to Nottingham. When we got back my father couldn't move, he had frozen in position and couldn't get off of his motorbike! You wouldn't get away with doing that these days.

Sorry - back on track Quest for Carp will always hold a very special place in my heart.

Pedro

Post by Pedro »

Gosh,this is bringing back many memories.In the 1950s our mode of transport was the Norton motorbike and sidecar.
My Mum and 2 brothers in the sidecar,myself strapped to my Dad on the Norton.
We must have travelled thousands of miles,holidays and visiting relations in various locations in the UK.
Happy days.
Oh yes, Jacks book " Quest for Carp " has pride of place amongst my books.
Probably,one of the best angling book ever

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Pedro wrote:Gosh,this is bringing back many memories.In the 1950s our mode of transport was the Norton motorbike and sidecar.
My Mum and 2 brothers in the sidecar,myself strapped to my Dad on the Norton.
We must have travelled thousands of miles,holidays and visiting relations in various locations in the UK.
Happy days.
Oh yes, Jacks book " Quest for Carp " has pride of place amongst my books.
Probably,one of the best angling book ever
Well Pedro I still have my Norton Motorcycle and sidecar albeit I don't ride it that much these days.

Anyway I bought my copy of Quest for Carp in the 1980s but one of the saddest recollections I have is the tale of the netting or electro-fishing that was undertaken at Redmire (unless it was a very bad dream) in search of the monsters.

It just destroyed a dream for me as the 70lb Carp was not discovered as was believed to exist and sometimes the magic and the mystery is more important than the reality - it is the magic and mystery that maketh the dreams.

I have never fished Redmire or even been there but the early stories of united like minded anglers evaporated so very quickly in later years and under different syndicates which somehow taints the venue rather like the netting / elctro fishing that was undertaken.

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”