Edgar Sealey ... un-named (as yet) 10ft 6in.

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Re: Edgar Sealey ... un-named (as yet) 10ft 6in.

Post by Ljm183 »

If the handle is the same as the Sealey Strikeright it,s a full length hollow aluminium tube.
Here,s one i made earlier

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Ljm183 wrote:If the handle is the same as the Sealey Strikeright it,s a full length hollow aluminium tube.
It could well be, Sir, but if it is there's a brass ferrule on the end of it with a bung and evidence of packing thread where it was glued.

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

The Strikerght is different.

It has a brass ferrule fitted into the tube and is held in place by a pin.

Rojj
Stickleback

Post by Rojj »

Evening Gents,
I've been lurking on this site for some time now, and I was also following that lot on Ebay. It has prompted me to register on this site. I have an early JW Avon quiver, and it is a lovely rod. The only drawback was that the handle (abbreviated on my one) was all eva. The reel was always coming loose. The final straw was when I was moving swims on a small river, and realised that there was no reel on the rod, and my Mitchell 300 was 20 yards back down the bank!
Through my local tackle shop, I found that I could get a screw reel fitting put on it.
I suspect that that is the reason for them changing to a cork/eva handle.
Regards,
Rojj

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

A hearty welcome to the forum Rojj, Sir. I had a similar thing with a reel dropping off a foam handled rod (pre cane days) and used a couple of turns of electricians tape as well as the fittings.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I had the same issue too!

I just managed to get the original 'graphite' reel bands off and a pair of John Roberts Reel Fits on instead....27mm ones I think....what a difference!

Nice rod...such a forgiving action.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

The early JW Quiver will be arriving on the doorstep of a TFF member tomorrow ... assuming TNT are true to their word.

Bata

Post by Bata »

Hi all, I am quite convinced that its a Edgar Sealey Peter Butler Specimen Hunter 10´6´´. Wonder If its the stepped up version, which is a mighty weapon. I own and have restored two of these, they help me if things a getting rough in weedy or snaggy water.
Greetings from Germany, Bata

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

A hearty welcome to the Forum ... and thank you for the confirmation, Sir. I was 99% sure, but you've now sealed it for me !!!

Do you have any photographs of your examples? I'd love to see them if you have.

Bata

Post by Bata »

Thanks a lot, yes I found a Photo with the two different Sealey Peter Butlers lazily waiting for action on a cold Apil day. The right hand one was in fairly good condition when I received it in 2004, so I only exchanged the rings to low bell agate throughout leaving the rest untouched. The middle rod was quite rotten, so I stripped it down and refurbished it in two different brownish colours, a detail is shown in the other picture. I was very lucky to find an old gentlemen in Holland selling me all these agates...by now both of these rods were clearly the best (heavy) split cane carp rods I ever saw, much better than my B James, Aspindales and Sharpes and more balanced than a Chapman 700.
I was even able to impress some of the average carp-boys with their interest in mere casting tools than fishing rods. Not all split cane rods are sloppy and some even can cast a lead to considerable distance if needed.

The left hand swing tip rod is an unmarked beauty, 9´6´´, two parts, I will ask the forum for some information. Catches good Tench!
Splintering rods from Germany,
Bata
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”