Traditional style floats: best places to find them.

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Bluedun

Re: Traditional style floats: best places to find them.

Post by Bluedun »

Kevanf1 wrote:I would 'almost' be willing to put money on it that like for like floats, say one made of pine the other of balsa, the balsa will cock quicker. They will both take different amounts of shot of course but as long as the overall weight (float + shot + hooklength and bait) was the equal then you'll be fishing quicker with the balsa one. I say 'almost' willing to bet because I am not a gambling man. I am genuinely interested to hear if somebody tries this little experiment and will certainly take back my words if I am wrong :)
Assuming the whole float is made from pine, that is probably correct. You could achieve the balsa equivalent by glueing a shot into the top of the float, bulking the rest underneath. As someone has already noted, a float made from a heavier material can even lie flat in the surface film (happened to me).

Bluedun

Post by Bluedun »

Nobby wrote:Try chucking a handfull of dust shot that weighs the same as 4BB and see which goes further.......
Probably be about the same. You're thinking that air resistance would slow the dust shot down, but I don't think it would. Try dropping a dust shot and a BB out of a window together - should hit the ground together.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Nobby, your first point shows why you shouldn't catapult hemp and casters together (or mixed sized of pellets) -you can end up with two separate line of feed.

OK if you're after chub against the far bank, roach two-thirds over, of course...

Bluedun, I'm hugely reassured that the flat float experience wasn't just me!
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Scott Thompson

Post by Scott Thompson »

Bluedun wrote: Probably be about the same. You're thinking that air resistance would slow the dust shot down, but I don't think it would. Try dropping a dust shot and a BB out of a window together - should hit the ground together.
Try dust shot and a cannon ball and they'll both hit the ground at the same time, falling is so different to throwing something

Bluedun

Post by Bluedun »

Scottt wrote: Try dust shot and a cannon ball and they'll both hit the ground at the same time, falling is so different to throwing something
The suggestion was throwing an equivalent weight of BB shot and dust shot, not a cannonball vs a dust shot.

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

One thing I didn't mention when it comes to using pine wood. It is possibly the most horrible wood to work with :( Yes, it cuts easily enough and takes a stain or paint (as long as you dry the resin out from it). It is when it comes to sanding it down that the problems start. I've made odds and sods for many years (roughly 40 counting my senior school years) and pine is the worst to get a good finish on and make it last. The problem lies in the way the layers of the wood grow. You can get your item sanded down seemingly perfect but, then, run your fingers along it and you find a little blemish. Of course with us float makers we usually want perfection so we'd go over that annoying little rough spot. Horror of horrors that tiny imperfection then grows instead of disappearing :( If you've ever had a rough spot catching clothing on a chair or wardrobe made of pine you will know exactly what I mean. No amount of sealer will help either!

Beech on the other hand sands down wonderfully smooth. It is harder on tools and is tougher to cut but I would rather this than having problems right at the end.
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

MaggotDrowner
Sea Trout

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Thanks for all the tips guys! It will be very helpful in the future. I had a go at making floats a few days ago. They're not quite finished yet and look a bit rough and ready. However they should work and that is all I wanted. I'm not striving for perfection just yet.

Almost finished. I'm going to put a white ring between the red and black to even it up a little.

Old fashioned style pike bungs. I hate the new ones with the holes straight through the middle. The bottom half needs painting green. Made from polystyrene balls and pine dowel. Total cost is about 50p each, if that.

They do work!
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Nice work MD! The first time one of them glides away will be magical
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

GarryProcter
Arctic Char

Post by GarryProcter »

Sorry MD, I missed your last post - well done on making an excellent start. If you PM me your address I'll try to get a few bits and pieces to you in the next week or two, and a couple of those simple wagglers I promised you ages ago.

MaggotDrowner
Sea Trout

Post by MaggotDrowner »

That would be very kind, Garry. I was given some Mitchell 300 spools by AshbyCut for which I made a donation to a favourite charity of his. I would be more than happy to do the same for you. I know you said you didn't want payment, so I'd want to do that at least. :)
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”