Roach Reflections

Watched a good fishing film lately, why not talk about it in here.
Mark99
Perch

Re: Roach Reflections

Post by Mark99 »

River Hiz. I think I located the area the big Hiz roach came from - by simple elimination and clues as to who owned the private land.

Mark99
Perch

Post by Mark99 »

Incomplete ref River Hiz but interesting to people like me who love chalk streams.

https://www.hertsmemories.org.uk/conten ... hiz-part-1

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

Apart from a good walk in the cold I stayed in today but have put together a video for Roach Reflections which is about maggots for roach:

Mark99
Perch

Post by Mark99 »

If you throw a few maggot in the water they sink longways...... so if you can get the roach in a frenzy taking on the drop, sidehooking maggots (like your young mate) can actually help.

Mark99
Perch

Post by Mark99 »

Re flavours. My pal way getting a goer roach up to 12-14 oz every cast on the Thames in a reliable roach area swim on ledgered bread.

For some reason he decided to flavour his bread with Strawberry flavour 1/2 way into the session. That was it - no bites at all after adding flavour! Flavours can do real damage.

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Thanks as always Mark. It's taught me a lot so far. I don't do a lot of river fishing, but I'm finding these videos very inspirational.

:Hat:

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

Mark99 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:49 pm If you throw a few maggot in the water they sink longways...... so if you can get the roach in a frenzy taking on the drop, side-hooking maggots (like your young mate) can actually help.
My mate wasn't so much side-hooking the maggots as skewering them. I've done vast amounts of on-the-drop fishing over the years and always hook the maggot conventionally but have no problems catching on the drop as I use very small, light hooks with minimal shotting down the line, and done well the maggot stays horizontal.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Loving this series Mark, keep them coming. :Hat:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Mark99
Perch

Post by Mark99 »

Some people hook double maggot with one bait hooked fat end first and the other thin end first...... attempt to reduce the "spin" on retrieve.

Ally
Silver Bream

Post by Ally »

I remember Ivan Marks saying about hooking a maggot the right way. Means the hook would stick up so you a chance of foul hooking in a match on a stillwater. Not something that applies to most of us. Debatable anyway

Return to “Fishing Films”