Vintage British and American Lures. (MORE STUFF!)

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Vintage British and American Lures

Post by Dave Burr »

Fredline wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:33 pm
Phil Arnott wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:34 am I was going to set up a display of old lures and collected a few interesting ones but in the end I just used the spoons in the display so I now have these left. I could set them up but I haven't got any available wall space to display them.

The lures I've deliberately collected are the ABU lures as many are no longer made and they were very good quality at the time.

Mr Crabtree Goes Fishing page 37. Very nice Phil.
I looked at Phil's picture and immediately though that it looked like a BV image - and it was. Well done Phil, you struck a nostalgic note in me and well done Fred for making the connection.

Why are lures so evocative?

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

Dave - I did find some like the one with the spinning head even with the same spot pattern but decided to curb my spending at the time. I still don't know what to do with them. If I set them up do you think someone might want to buy them?

As you can see below I've already got three displays of lures and no room left now I've put up the players cigarette card display. The other walls in my fishing room are also full and I'm sure management won't let me expand into another room.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Our club cod trophy 'The Digger Derrington' is very similar to that cod you have displayed there Phil. Ours is made of tooled leather, is yours?

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Phil Arnott wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:12 am Dave - I did find some like the one with the spinning head even with the same spot pattern but decided to curb my spending at the time. I still don't know what to do with them. If I set them up do you think someone might want to buy them?

As you can see below I've already got three displays of lures and no room left now I've put up the players cigarette card display. The other walls in my fishing room are also full and I'm sure management won't let me expand into another room.

Superb Phil. They look excellent. :Hat:

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

Hi Liphook, the cod picture was produced by a good fishing friend of mine, George Cundill who made a living from artwork. It is stained pokerwork on leather. Sadly George died in 2013 at the age of 67 but there are many examples of his work about with many fishing and country subjects.

Below is a table he produced for one customer. I'm sure there are many members who would like to own it.

Last edited by Phil Arnott on Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

These had been squirreled away for a good few years now but this thread has had me hunting
high and low for them....success, I found them!
The 'Wizard Plicuatic' prawn is unused and I can find very little (none at all) info on the web apart from the address of the company. The blue/silver Devon minnow is a Hardy and still has its battered bag and the other brown minnow has seen some action in the past and I think is made of cellulose?

“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Phil Arnott wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:12 am Dave - I did find some like the one with the spinning head even with the same spot pattern but decided to curb my spending at the time. I still don't know what to do with them. If I set them up do you think someone might want to buy them?

Stunning displays Phil, I reckon they'd attract bids from enthusiasts but they may not make as much as selling the individual lures. Difficult one that. Yours put my efforts to shame.I have a couple of small cases with lures that belonged to and were used by Peter Stone.

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Silfield wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:52 pm These had been squirreled away for a good few years now but this thread has had me hunting
The 'Wizard Plicuatic' prawn is unused and I can find very little (none at all) info on the web apart from the address of the company. The blue/silver Devon minnow is a Hardy and still has its battered bag and the other brown minnow has seen some action in the past and I think is made of cellulose?

That prawn looks so real and the cellulose minnow is intriguing. Thanks for sharing.

:Hat:

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Tonytoned wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:29 pm
Silfield wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:52 pm These had been squirreled away for a good few years now but this thread has had me hunting

That prawn looks so real and the cellulose minnow is intriguing. Thanks for sharing.

:Hat:
It is a real one! Apparently it is dried, prepared and then varnished! I can't imagine that they last long though as it is fairly delicate. The only other reference I can find to the company shows a minnow prepared and mounted in the same manner-I should imagine the work premises smelt a bit ripe on a warm day.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

ImageImage

This is a great book on lures of all kinds, and full of good colourful illustrations.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”