NuFloat

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: NuFloat

Post by AshbyCut »

Ryan has some ferrules ... see this thread ...

http://www.traditionalfisherman.co.uk/v ... =94&t=4428

or you can get new sets at a very reasonable price (but they are very shiny for a 'vintage' rod) at :-

http://www.guidesnblanks.com/product/6996/category/217
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

I dont know how much you actualy paid for this Rod but I would deffinately say it does not match the description of USABLE!! well not without some time and money spent on it. I would probably contact the seller and ask for a full refund, or a partial refund and keep the rod. Just my opinion but I wouldnt consider replacinging the ferrules an easy job for a first attempt at doing a resto.
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

MaggotDrowner
Sea Trout

Post by MaggotDrowner »

I paid £26 for the rod, plus postage which wasn't cheap. Not too much money, but still not acceptable condition given it's description.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

MaggotDrowner
Sea Trout

Post by MaggotDrowner »

I was going to start work on the rod today, but I have found another problem. There is a small split in the tip section of the rod.

How much do you think this will damage the structural integrity of the rod? Bare in mind that I don't want to fix all the other problems only to have the thing snap on me the first time I use it. So much for it being usable!
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

Im no expert but that looks buggered :shocked:

Hard to tell from your photo, is that a splinter of cane sticking out.
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Get in touch with the seller, Sir. That's a non -starter.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Not that i'm in anyway an expert, but I have to agree with John65 and AC.

Contact the seller and get your money back.

Gaz

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Oh dear!

What you can see is a small split, but I suspect there's a lot more damage there than can be seen with the naked eye. A splinter like that is probably from the rod being bent too far, stood on or trapped in a door. Cane doesn't just develop a split like that...something has happened.

Let's look at the wording of the sale again:

"Condition:

Used: An item that has been previously used. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully ... Read moreabout the condition

Welcome, you are viewing an edgar sealey nufloat split cane fishing rod

good used condition

comes with carry bag

please feel free to ask qny questions."

Well, it's not in 'good used condition' at all. It's ferrule counters have come off and are jammed in the ferrules. The tip ring has been replaced in a very amatuerish fashion and there is a split in the cane.

Now, everything bar the split is fixable, but at some trouble and expense, but the split in the cane makes it simply unusable. I think you must ask for a full refund, you might link to this thread in your message to the seller, but I believe you can't post active links in eBay messages, so ask him to 'copy and paste'.

There's no reason for him to even want the rod back I'd suggest. A replacement tip will cost far more than the rod is worth.

This illustrates the danger of buying a cane rod from someone who isn't familiar with them. An ordinary man in the street is unlikely to know the rod even has any faults, so can hardly7 be expected to describe it accurately. No reason they won't refund you though, I've rarely had any problems after over 500 transactions.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Nobby wrote:

There's no reason for him to even want the rod back I'd suggest.
But if he does tell him you want a full refund plus the postage to send the rod back and you should send the rod back recorded delivery

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

I would think its only true value now is spares, depending on the condition of the rings, remaining ferrules etc.

H.T. Sheringham

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”