Yatesy's Barderised FJT Roach Rod

This forum belongs to Chris Yates.
Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Re: Yatesy's Barderised FJT Roach Rod

Post by Bumble »

In December 1966 at the ripe age of 10 I was lucky enough to win a national newspaper compition of a football signed by the World Cup winning team it's still in my house now. I would guess the ball is worth now about £2 but Bobby Moore and Charltons signature almost certainly a lot more. APFA inspired a generation to fish in a style a method that was fast disappearing I have had the great pleasure of meeting film director H Miles but never the 2 stars of the program would I pay good money for a rod linked to CY absolutley with no regrets and I have. As for the other one not even Monopoly money would I part with, prices get elevated by a name Armani as an example but that's life I am afraid each to there own is what I say.
Bumble

Colonelgsc
Roach

Post by Colonelgsc »

Bumble wrote:In December 1966 at the ripe age of 10 I was lucky enough to win a national newspaper compition of a football signed by the World Cup winning team it's still in my house now. I would guess the ball is worth now about £2 but Bobby Moore and Charltons signature almost certainly a lot more. APFA inspired a generation to fish in a style a method that was fast disappearing I have had the great pleasure of meeting film director H Miles but never the 2 stars of the program would I pay good money for a rod linked to CY absolutley with no regrets and I have. As for the other one not even Monopoly money would I part with, prices get elevated by a name Armani as an example but that's life I am afraid each to there own is what I say.
Bumble
Good point, well made......................Well done, that man. :hat:

"If you can wait, and not be tired of waiting......" Kipling

Hermit
Rudd

Post by Hermit »

I think sometimes we miss the point. Its all about what he has conveyed on our behalf, those words he has written that have touched us so deeply, what he has expressed as we would express if we could, our passion. This makes him a genius for us. We all know this.

The important bit is that it is what he represents that is so valuable. Not the flesh but the thought. Disassociate this average decent chap from the wondrous movement he has engendered and you have it. Do not feel embarrassed to want to possess part of it. As one member expressed when considering the purchase of a Chris Yates post card to Dave Swallow on e-bay, but failed to bid as a matter of taste;

"Legions loved ‘A Passion’. It is literary genius on film. But film media is troubled by those in its audience who are unable to separate fact from fiction. Such persons are vulnerable to the disease of obsession. Intelligent men, engrossed in their passion, understand the disease of obsession. Knowledge of its existence disturbs those of sound mind. They look introspectively for signs of its growth.....

To admit a desire to own the postcard was a step closer to admitting an obsession. I exercised caution but now the danger has passed I recognise the poor diagnosis. I’d missed the point; I really wanted that fragment of history, and to be inspired at each reading of those simple words."

If I had the funds I would not hesitate for a second......
Fishing is worth no more than its pleasure. Bernard Venables.

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

alaudacorax wrote:
Julian wrote:So are you saying that until an angler is dead he can't have a sort of 'legendary' status?
No, of course not. Please read properly the lines that you quoted. I used the word 'subconsciously' and I was trying to describe my instinctive feelings, not to make any such dogmatic statement.
Julian wrote:If that is so then I have to totally disagree, because whilst there is no doubt in my mind as to the importance of and status of the likes of Walker and Venables, in my opinion, Chris Yates is at least equal to them - because of his influence on my own ( and many others) angling life, direction, experience and success.
You appear to be trying to misrepresent me to make it appear that I'm mounting some sort of attack on Mr Yates. I've already made it quite clear that I'm an admirer of Chris Yates and the idea that I've compared him to those earlier anglers in any unfavourable light is purely your fiction - you didn't find it in any of my posts.

The point about Venables, Walker and earlier anglers is that they are all, now, firmly in the past: on the one hand, the supply of items of tackle genuinely connected with them is finite - there are never going to be any more of them and, with the inevitable mischances attendant on the passing of time, the numbers are going to dwindle; on the other hand, owning an item that belonged to them is a connection to the past and to the history of our sport. While Chris Yates, in my opinion, has or will have an important place in the history of angling, he's not 'history' yet - he's still out there fishing and I can't see any particular significance in some old rod that - and this is a hypothetical example - he bought, had refurbished, used for a few months, decided didn't suit him, and sold on. But such a rod would fetch a multiple of its 'non-Yates' value. As I said in earlier posts, this bemuses me a little.
Apologies Alaudacorax - as I have misunderstood, misread or misinterpreted parts of your post.

I understand now fully what you were saying. I think my reply was rushed without spending enough time to read carefully andtake in clearly what you said, and was probably partly out of the frustration of too many others (not yourself) over a long period of time, who have wanted to criticise everything about CY. It appears to me there are many so called anglers (thankfully not on this Forum) who just really don't like the fact that CY caught a record carp using the simplest of methods on a cane rod, and therefore hate the idea that he has a somewhat near legendary status.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

That a hell of a magnanimous apology Julian - hats off to you sir.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Some of the most well-thought-out observations I have ever read on this re-occuring theme.

I once wrote in praise of another famous angler on another forum, a chap well known for spending time and encouraging young anglers where ever he meets them. I was lambasted by one particular forum member who insisted on passing on unsubstantiated third-hand gossip about the man and it quickly descended into an argument.

I left that forum.

I think there's a little hero-worship in all of us, perhaps balanced by a little distain for the famous, who always turn out to be fallible human beings just like the rest of us.

There might even be a touch of envy too...both for that famous chap......and the fellers who can afford his cast-offs :wink:

What I think we can say about Mr.Yates, is that he can on occasion, whether he internds it or not, be something of an inspiration.

And catching the Bishop on an Avon rod and not much else just reminds us that any of us, with a bit of skill and a lot of luck, might one day catch such a monster too!

There's a chap in Germany who targets huge, huge carp when they are spawning to boost the weight of his capture. He dedicates months to this pursuit and whilst I admire his skill and determination....I know who I most admire the most out of the two successful anglers.

Hermit
Rudd

Post by Hermit »

Well said that man.

Couldn't agree more.
Fishing is worth no more than its pleasure. Bernard Venables.

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

Well said Nobby, I think I remember that thread, it was locked by moderators in the end as it descended in to personal insults. As you know I don't back down from an argument or suffer fools, and there are plenty on that particular forum that are the later and provoke the former, so I rarely go there too now.

On the subject of hero worship, or just wanting an item that connects you with a, so called, 'legend' whether living or not, there should be a thread to list all rods, or any other tackle come to that, that was once owned by anglers of note and their whereabouts, if they are restored, original, in a glass case or still landing fish. Maybe more than just a thread, a section of forum to it's self. Why not section it by each angling legend. People can add each piece of tackle that is attributed to them as it is found, bought or seen in a museum, a sort of national register of noteworthy anglers tackle.

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

greentura wrote:
On the subject of hero worship, or just wanting an item that connects you with a, so called, 'legend' whether living or not, there should be a thread to list all rods, or any other tackle come to that, that was once owned by anglers of note and their whereabouts, if they are restored, original, in a glass case or still landing fish. Maybe more than just a thread, a section of forum to it's self. Why not section it by each angling legend. People can add each piece of tackle that is attributed to them as it is found, bought or seen in a museum, a sort of national register of noteworthy anglers tackle.
I think that's a bloody good idea .
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

Sounds like a good idea to me greentura, I will suggest it to Mark on your behalf unless he see's this post first. :thumb:
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Return to “Chris Yates”