500 de-luxe

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Marc
Sea Trout

Re: 500 de-luxe

Post by Marc »

Cheers men.

The plastic tube has been forcibly bent about a foot from the top. Wish I'd noticed or had the forethought to open it when the courier was there. Still, hindsight.

I've recovered a bit today, getting my money back helped. I'm now thinking its more a shame that such a lovely rod has been damaged in such a way. There maybe light at the end of this tunnel though. There are two, possibly three, possibilities on the horizon. One being keeping the rod and making it shorter, two being the bloke I bought it off is a bit of a collector and says he'll have a look and see if he has something similar and three.... Well, three will have to wait until next week. :Wink:
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

How short would a rescued version be POD. I know loop really likes the shorter 500 he has.

both rods i've had delivered by post/courier have arrived intact, I reckon that was on purpose mate.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

GazTheAngler wrote:How short would a rescued version be POD. I know loop really likes the shorter 500 he has.

both rods i've had delivered by post/courier have arrived intact, I reckon that was on purpose mate.
You may very well be right Gaz. If I end up with it, I think it will be about 6" short at the most. I wish it had been just the tip section. The bloke I bought it off has turned out to be a great guy too. I've been in touch a few times, he's even been looking for another similar in his collection. I hope they get to the bottom of it and someone gets a hiding.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

GazTheAngler wrote:How short would a rescued version be POD. I know loop really likes the shorter 500 he has.

Love mine but its only 3 inches short at the most, 6 inches would be too short but then it could be a good stalker. Don't know if its been tried before but what about making the female ferrule longer to compensate for the shorter butt section. Or is that a sillybilly idea :Confused:
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

D'you know what I would do? well I'd flood both breaks with superglue straighten up either in a vice or by hand keep straight until the glue is set and go a fishing with it ! You could give it a few test bends first and see if it creaks but in the end what have you got to lose, its a free rod !!

I had a similar break in the end of my Adonis 4 inches from the tip, did as suggested above, close whipped over the repair for extra strength and its been fine (famous last words !)

Good Luck !
Best Fishes
Mushy

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

Mushy - I have been fishing with a somewhat suspect MKIV for a few years now and it still has yet to finally "crack"...one day maybe...but it is still going well after a bit of a forceful encounter a few years ago so these rods do have quite a bit of backbone even when damaged seemingly beyond repair.....

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

The final chapter.

This rod has been on a bit of a rough ride, however it has returned to me today in quite a fine state and ready for the bank. The seller did indeed let me have it and I was faced with the task of repairing it. Not too difficult as long as the ferrule came off ok; it did not. So, as is the way with me, I took the easy option and asked my good mate Wal if he'd fit the ferrule. I offered money which was refused and after getting the call to say it was ready I went round today. He'd not only fitted the ferrule but had moved a ring and fitted the tip ring, prince amoungst men is our Wal; not only that we had a good hour of wonder reels to look at and some of his lovely little Mitchell's. I'm hoping he'll adopt me. :rock:

Anyway the rod is now a beautiful small river avon rod or margin rod. Thanks for sticking with me through the trauma of having such a nice rod, first damaged then resurrected.

Here she is.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

Paddex

Post by Paddex »

looks like a very fine rod, many catches :Thumb:

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

A lovely job and a true gentleman!

You'll enjoy using it I'm sure.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Great to see it brought back from the brink!
Wouldn't surprise me if it turns out to be your lucky rod!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”