Fishing with Chris Yates in 2014 (eBay auction)

This forum belongs to Chris Yates.
Northern Eel
Chub

Re: Fishing with Chris Yates in 2014 (eBay auction)

Post by Northern Eel »

I started the bidding & I thought about going much higher, I had in my mind that this would easily reach over £500.
Even my wife said I should go for it, because she knows fishing with Chris has been my dream for a long time.

In the end, I chickened out :Chuckle:
What If I actually won this?
I would probably get so nervous I would do something stupid like falling in or make a complete arse of myself.
:Brickwall:

So instead, I ordered a new rod from Andrew J Davis :Sun:
"Chasing frothy bubbles while the world is full of troubles"

"Simple pleasures maybe, but very real ones, which seem all the more precious in these restless modern days."

'BB' Denys Watkins-Pitchford

Hamburger
Rudd

Post by Hamburger »

I had a nice day fishing with nobody less than myself. It was great and I didn't pay 500.- for it. I think, I'll give the 500.- I saved today to charity. Maybe something to do with kangaroos. I like kangaroos.
I said goodbye to what I knew and embraced the ways of old, with it taking on the attitude that big isn't best.

Stuart Harris, 'From Carbon to Cane'

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

You'd pay more than that for a book he's signed. Sure they could have found a first edition Casting at the Sun, got it signed and made more. Still, I hope whoever got it has a wonderful day.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

Bluelabel wrote:Is that...... Kevin.....?
I truly believe so... :Happy:

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

NorthernEel,

"I would do something stupid like falling in or make a complete arse of myself" . . . exactly, that would be completely in keeping with the genre he has created :-)

Hamburger
Rudd

Post by Hamburger »

To be honest, who wouldn't want to go fishing with such a nice bloke. Famous or not. I'd be the last to say NO, if he'd invite me.
I imagine I'd be very exited about it and arriving at the water much too early - or just in time (as I'm a real German - regarding punctuality). I'd wait for an hour or two until he shows up. He forgot his landing net ... and the rods, of course. So we would spend the day playing Floop, drinking tea, later the champagne I brought and when a bit tipsy, we head off to the nearest pub and celebrate the brilliant day "fishing". But, oops! We left our rods at the water. Well, let's fetch them tomorrow.
After all, a day to be remembered for the rest of my life.
What a dream! But I'm allowed to fantasize, ain't I ?
Congratulations to who ever won the day.
I said goodbye to what I knew and embraced the ways of old, with it taking on the attitude that big isn't best.

Stuart Harris, 'From Carbon to Cane'

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Well, you're certainly right about waiting for a couple of hours for him to turn up.....

Alledgedly :laugh:

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Well done to the winner. :Wink:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Wandler

Post by Wandler »

I just don't understand any of this. Really! I'm being serious.

Isn't he just a bloke who goes fishing and then writes about it?

I quote from P. 47 of 'A Passion for Angling'

"Fishing the shallows, also with a float, Bob hooked a much bigger carp. It raced halfway down the pool, was turned and then, just as it began to come in, rolled off the hook. Also from the shallows, and not far from the scarecrow, I landed a common of just over 10lbs. Then it was time for tea."

This is opposite a picture of some bloke, I presume it's him, in a sleeping bag next to an advert for Tesco.

What's it all about? Am I missing something here? Have I read too much Hemingway?

I thought the cult of celebrity stopped at the X-Factor or whatever it's called. If people enjoy his books then that's great. But the idea of all these blokes in t-shirts and camo or Norfolk jackets for that matter quaking at the chance of meeting Chris Yates... I find it fairly weird.

I'd never actually heard of the man until I started using this forum (which by the way I find incredibly enjoyable and very informative.. even if sometimes I can't stop myself from having a bit of a laugh!).

Maybe it's a carp thing. I have never fished for carp. I have never caught one and I have never weighed a fish that I have caught. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

You must have heard of 'charity' before you joined the forum Wandler, that is what it is all about.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Return to “Chris Yates”