Chris Yates Tackle

This forum belongs to Chris Yates.
Paul D

Re: Chris Yates Tackle

Post by Paul D »

SofaSurfer wrote:That would be the ultimate in voyeurism. I don't think he is a member, somebody would have broken his cover before now. I think those members close to Chris ought to encourage him to send a Christmas message, like the Pope. He could write a short message using pen and paper, it could be scanned and posted. It would be the most read post on the forum and would brighten everyone's day :-)
Oh yes please :Thumb:

Danny Boy
Arctic Char

Post by Danny Boy »

SofaSurfer wrote:That would be the ultimate in voyeurism. I don't think he is a member, somebody would have broken his cover before now. I think those members close to Chris ought to encourage him to send a Christmas message, like the Pope. He could write a short message using pen and paper, it could be scanned and posted. It would be the most read post on the forum and would brighten everyone's day :-)
I think i would be right in saying that would make a lot of tff members Christmas ,it certainly would for me :Wink:
I go fishing not to find myself...but to lose myself

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Firebird wrote:Question. Would you want to belong to a forum on which you were the object of hero worship?
Good point, probably not. :Hat:

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

I, for one, certainly don't envy Mr. Yates his 'celebrity' status.

I thoroughly enjoyed my visit to Redditch yesterday ... something which I suspect he couldn't even contemplate because of the furore which would have ensued if he'd walked into the hall. I'd like to think that if he had, I'd have simply doffed my hat as a mark of recognition and respect, and allowed him the space to look around in peace like everyone else.

Actually, I'm eagerly expecting a message from him ... but that will be in the form of "The Lost Diary," which I have supported at Unbound Books.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

AshbyCut wrote: Actually, I'm eagerly expecting a message from him ... but that will be in the form of "The Lost Diary," which I have supported at Unbound Books.

I'm really looking forward to my copy as well - about time it was sent out isn't it? I thought it was due to be printed a few weeks ago. :Confused:
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Based on various other TFF members comments on other posts, who know CY, I doubt very much he is on this forum or even views it as there seems to be a general consensus that he doesn't use the internet at all.
However if he did ever decide to venture on to a fishing forum I would like to think that this would definitely be the one forum he would choose to visit.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Yes, I would feel a duty to contribute for the following reason. The large number of traditionalists who have been influenced by the fishing greats' (Walker, Yates, Venables) achievements, books, articles etc. would probably benefit from occasional words of wisdom. Not about rods and reels but bigger issues such as membership of the Angling Trust. Having influenced a large number of people, perhaps unintentionally, I might want to use my influence to promote environmental or other issues I felt strongly about. The occasional comment or guidance could be a powerful force for change. I might also want to keep in touch with my most avid readers and get feedback. I always thought of Richard Walker as a crusader, outspoken, champion of good causes (ACA) and generally a person to respect. As a living legend I think Chris should occasionally communicate with his congregation other than through his books.

On the other hand, he would probably want to go perch fishing :-)

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Remember Chris doesn't profess to be anything other than a fisherman, father and writer. :Happy:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

You are right Snape. There's just a little too much hero worship going on here in this post.... all a bit embarrassing really, scenes of screaming girls waiting for a glimpse of the latest boy band spring to mind. Although Mr Yates has undoubtedly inspired some TFF members to fish the way they do with vintage tackle etc, it must be remembered that he is a human being just like the rest of us, he has no duty to be seen by his "fans" and I'm sure he is just a regular guy, admittedly one who has a great gift of writing. I have had the pleasure of meeting other "greats" of angling over the years and most of them don't believe in their own hype, they are just normal, enjoy a pint and a chat... to put it bluntly. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Mr Yates's books and articles very much, but I suspect he'd find some of these posts a bit OTT..............
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

You know I have a strong feeling that CY is or was a member on here in the early days.

I recognised the style of prose of one poster, I thought......

Many people in the public eye are there by choice....indeed to watch TV these days ( if you can stand to ) might make you think the whole World believes they have a talent and a right to be 'superstars'.

Mr. Yates isn't really like that....he doesn't seek to be in the public eye....he kind of got put there by us anglers. And whilst everyone enjoys a bit of success....it's good to know you weren't writing rubbish I'm sure.....if people aren't cautious they'll create a situation that would make it almost impossible for CY to ever have any 'net prescence'.

You know what human nature is like......build up a hero and knock him down again. I've already read criticism of CY for the manner of his latest book publication, with the 'pre-ordering ' thing.

Not one person I read put forward the proposition that maybe CY just wanted to make sure there really was a point in picking up his pen and that he might actually be nervous of writing more angling diaries, having diverged recently to other interests.

He did once have a prescence on an internet forum, I believe and I'm told the whole thing ended badly. I'f he'd ever had a peek at BFW and others, I'd imagine he'd have run a mile. What sane man wouldn't?........

But he's no hermit you might recall, and has attended book launches and even read passages of Mr. Crabtree to a few like minded souls...which was promptly upload to the 'net. How scary!

I had the pleasure of meeting him this Summer with a few pals ( in a pub of course ) and he is just how you thought he might be.....funny amusing and ...well just good company really and he still gets a glint in his eye when talking about fishing..which is pretty much all we did talk about to be honest. But he doesn't give advice..though it would be well recieved if he did, I'm sure.....he listens. I've rarely come across a man, so successful in his chosen field, who listens so well.

It'd be a shame if too much 'hero worship' drove him into hiding, as it were. He really is just a 'normal bloke'

Return to “Chris Yates”