Drennan Double Strength line question.

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
SeanM
Tench

Re: Drennan Double Strength line question.

Post by SeanM »

Robbi wrote:But it's not as thin as the "Dip Chromium Pro" 9.2Lb BS @ .185 is going to be hard to beat, trouble is, i've never heard of it although the advert sound good.

The Drennan is tried and tested and a known quantity............but.............
I've used the Dip lines for over a season now. The Chromium Pro is a really high quality reel line. It's a sinking line so not for floater fishing. The Sagitar Dip pole and hooklength line is also really good. I rate it as better than Reflo Powerline as a hook length - slightly thinner and really good knot strength. The 12lb stuff is my standard barbel maggot fishing line now. I know a few highly respected anglers who have switched to the Sagitar Dip for hook lengths where a low diameter line is an advantage.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Robbi
Tench

Post by Robbi »

Thanks for that SeanM just what i needed to hear :) think i'll have to get some now. ( it would be OK float fishing wagglers where you sink the line anyway would'nt it ? )
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

WildCarpFisher.

Post by WildCarpFisher. »

I've used Drennen double strength for many years, it's excellent line as long as you understand it breaks at the rating?

I use 7lb for most of my floater fishing. Fish up to 30lb.

On a pin for barbel 10lb is great line.

6lb for my reservoir fishing tippet. 3lb for brown trout rivers.

Martin Bowler rates it too if that's anything?

I love it.

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

I use Prestons Reflo Power for mainline straight through to the hook:

Claimed diameters are:

9lb - 0.21
11lb -0.24
12.5lb - 0.26

I believe the diameters are actually slightly more than claimed by about 0.02mm
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Robbi wrote:Thanks for that SeanM just what i needed to hear :) think i'll have to get some now. ( it would be OK float fishing wagglers where you sink the line anyway would'nt it ? )
Yes it should be fine for wagglers. I use it for quiver tipping for chub and it's been very reliable. I think it's fluorocarbon coated although it doesn't say so on the packet. Some of the best spooled line i've ever bought - you'll see what I mean if you get some.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

MaggotDrowner
Sea Trout

Post by MaggotDrowner »

I've only ever used the 6lb Drennen double strength and I cannot say I like it. Breaks in random places with small fish in open water. I don't know if it was just the stuff I bought which had something wrong with it, but I have no confidence in it what so ever. I'll stick to the regular mono. It was taken off my reel after I had used it twice and lost three fish on it. Useless stuff.

There is another thread on here where people expressed a similar opinion:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1917&hilit=double+strength
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

I always thought Double Strength was a hook link, not a main line, I use it for floater fishing and never had problems.
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Last year I used Ultima Strong in 6,8 and 10lb strains and found it very reliable. It's not double strength, more one size down in diameter if that makes sense? As such it has a bit more stretch than the others. It's a nice 'vintage' shade of grey and reasonably priced too.

WildCarpFisher.

Post by WildCarpFisher. »

It's a excellent line, but just remember it is correct for the breaking strain.

Red Creel

Post by Red Creel »

I understand Martin Bowler is a big fan of Double Strength, certainly read a few articles of his where he is using it as a mainline in the higher breaking strains.

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”