Edgar Sealey ... un-named (as yet) 10ft 6in.

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
Julian
Salmon

Re: Edgar Sealey ... un-named (as yet) 10ft 6in.

Post by Julian »

Very nice rod AC. :Thumb:
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Reading through that Waterblog thread it's clear that that fellers rod also has the Sealey badge missing!

I think what happened was that around thew time of the change to the two fishes logo Sealey swapped varnishes to a polyeurathane one....and not a very good one at that!

All the two fishes logo rods I've ever seen have flaking varnish, but particularly over the transfers.

You rod isn't in the 1968 catalogue, so was possibly only made for just the one year.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Thanks for that Nobby, Sir.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

A PM to a fellow TFF member has resulted in an invitation to meet Andrew Davis tomorrow, so that he can look over the rod. Thank you, Sir. :Hat:

Watch this space.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Returned from my visit with Andrew Davis ... and what a gentleman !!! I was welcomed with a mug of tea (always a good sign), and he cast an immediate eye over the rod, and over my recently completed Allcock's 'Isis,' which I'd taken to show him what I'd learned from my time in the TFF.

He was very complimentary about the Sealey ... and pointed out that the centre section was hollow built, which I hadn't realised.

My questions about whether it was worth having him restore it were very honestly answered ... that he thought it was probably a rare rod, and that IF the transfers had been complete and in place it would certainly have been worth the expense ... BUT, as the transfers are missing it wouldn't be an economic option. All it really needs is to have the guides re-whipped, and then taken to the bank and enjoyed. He also was generous enough to say that, after seeing what I'd done with the 'Isis,' I should do the Sealey myself ... which I took as a great compliment.

As we talked, however, Andrew was good enough to fire up his heat gun and remove the set from the tip section !!!!! It was a real education to watch him at work.

ps ... Andrew was also good enough to show me rods both finished and in the process of being restored or built. Wonderful work ... and, oh yes, he did say I had to mention to Nobby that I've now touched a 'Craftversa' !!! :Wink:

To cap it all, he even produced a Martin James rod which he said he would probably not get round to doing, and offered it to me !!!

An hours education ... a set expertly removed as I watched ... and a rod as my next project (see new thread) ... best £20 I've ever spent !!!

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Great stuff. You can't beat watching a master at work. Education, priceless
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

MGs wrote:Great stuff. You can't beat watching a master at work. Education, priceless
Quite: great stuff AC!
Last edited by The VFC on Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Craftversa! He said Craftversa.

sob

As an aside, I'd always presumed that Martin James was by a Mr. Martin James, but I recently come across an image of a float and box by them that shows the firm was actually W.Martin James.

Nice of him to sort that set out for you....does he use an electric hot air gun?

Fascinating that the centre section should be hollow-built....is the handle section too?

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Terrific news AC!

Except I was watching that lot and thought it had gone too high!

Live and learn!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

a) Sorry about using "that" word Nobby, Sir ... he made me do it ... honest !!!

b) The transfers on both my Martin James rods are clearly "Martin-James". Perhaps the hyphen is not just for decoration ?

c) I'm now assuming from the weight that the handle is too, but I'm not going to disassemble it to find out.

d) Yes, Sir, the heat gun is electric.

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”