Yatesy's Underwater Lake?

This forum belongs to Chris Yates.
Grayshott

Re: Yatesy's Underwater Lake?

Post by Grayshott »

This seems a very interesting estate lake shrouded in some bizarre history , funnily enough if you approach the ownwers sometimes they can be quite willing to let you fish for a day a year for example , I would think June 16th would be magical there.!

Does anyone happen to know whom the owner is.? Being local to the area I could make some inquirees. :cool:

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

That was a facinating read in his book and what a discovery, would love to fish that place and see the room
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

A TFF outing to the under water room lake.

That would be great.

Gaz

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

What a place for an AGM, with Mr Yates as guest speaker maybe?

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

i loved that part of the book i wanted to ask him about the under water room in the lake when i met him but i was a bit star struck when i met him he asked me what part of the book i liked and why but i felt a little bit put on the spot and i was lost for words anyway we had a chat about barbel fishing on the severn and hampshire avon he came across as really nice guy i was realy pleased as im a great fan of his writing.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I'm sure I've mentioned before that I know this lake and area quite well and have been researching the history of the place for years. With this being the centenary of the foundation of the National Trust* I had hoped to get someone interested in writing a book or small article, but not a single person i approached even bothered to reply to me!

Suffice to say, it's all on the Web, though with many mistakes and inaccuracies....I might do something myself, one day.

The current owner is NOT interested in anglers, sadly.

* The NT was formed as a body to fight against the owners proposal for nearby Hindhead , as they were appalled at what he had done at Witley Park

Rutilus Eye

Post by Rutilus Eye »

For interest - an old day pass from a club outing in the late 1980s (1987 i think)

I dont remember all those rules being adhered to - especially the No coloured maggots or No groundbait ones.
WITLEY DAY PERMIT late 1980s.jpg
WITLEY PARK DAY PERMIT.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

Aren't they repeating themselves a bit? "No Rover tickets" immediately followed by "No dogs". :think:

Red Creel

Post by Red Creel »

Also guilty of fishing here but just the once though in the mid 80s on a club match.Two things stick in my mind about that day, firstly the crucians(it was crucians all the way no other species were weighed in as far as i recall) yanked the float under with no messing, very unlike crucian behaviour.Secondly the baliff watched us like a hawk throughout the match and that was after reading the riot act before we had even tackled up.Not the most friendly of welcome's actually it was more like a grunt and a scowl but i just took it that he was having an off day! :sarcasm:

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I think that's the happy-chappy that was ....er...'let go', for selling off said crucians.

If anyone could post the image drawn by the then Mrs. Yates for me I'd be most grateful, I know it's not accurate, but it's what started the whole interest in the project for me.

Return to “Chris Yates”