Blood Knots - Luke Jennings- dont miss this book!

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Re: Blood Knots - Luke Jennings- dont miss this book!

Post by Gary Bills »

Pedro wrote:
Bluedun wrote:A note of dissent. Although it's not a bad book - better than many fishing books - I don't think it's as good as many think. It's half a fishing book, half a biography of a friend who met an unhappy end. The writing about the fishing itself is curiously flat - perhaps something to do with the author being a journalist. Certainly not great literature, although I'm not sure there are any fishing books that deserve such acclaim. Maybe one, though it depends on the comparisons.
I tend to agree,only cost me a £1.
However,I found it disappointing after all the hype and recommendations in the various media.
Perhaps if we all liked the same books,life would be boring.
Still,it only costs a £1

I must admit, I obtained a copy from the library first of all...and my first impression was, -favourable, but I wasn't overwhelmed.
Then, a few months on, my brother bought me a copy, and a read it through again, and I was far more impressed the second time round...

Hannay
Perch

Post by Hannay »

A small deviation, chaps. It's good to see people still using libraries!

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

Scott wrote:
FarliesBirthday wrote:
Bluedun wrote:A note of dissent. Although it's not a bad book - better than many fishing books - I don't think it's as good as many think. It's half a fishing book, half a biography of a friend who met an unhappy end. The writing about the fishing itself is curiously flat - perhaps something to do with the author being a journalist. Certainly not great literature, although I'm not sure there are any fishing books that deserve such acclaim. Maybe one, though it depends on the comparisons.
Well, it's more than half a biography of one friend - it's about Jennings' family and his wounded father too, isn't it? Public school comes into it also, - and pike fishing with the doomed rock musician friend - the most haunting part of all for me. The Nairac passages were disturbing, true, but they do not really dominate the entire book, at least for me...
and I think the carp fishing passage, when he hooks and loses a hard-battling common beneath a placid statue of Mother Mary, on the banks of a rather creepy pool, is quite unforgettable...
Thought you weren't going to do a spoiler? :Scared: Just ordered my copy and I'll have my tuppeneth when I've read it... ...still think we should have a book review section on here... ...suggested it in the improvements bit, but...
Well I've just finished it and found it quite superb! I'd recommend it but as others have stated it isn't just about fishing...

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

Just bought a copy for a fiver based on the, generally, favourable comments from forum members, will let you know !
Best Fishes
Mushy

Bowles

Post by Bowles »

Ive just ordered it so will let you know what i think when i get round to reading it. Also im really shocked to learn on here that james herbert is dead, for me a great wrtiter, "ONCE" was a classic book and " THE DARK " scared the life outta me! Thanks mister herbert for all the scares over the years!

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

For an example of top quality writing concerning our favourite subject: try true love and the woolly bugger by Dave Ames. Or, perhaps best of all, David James Duncans' "The river why"; although the latter is pure fiction.[/quote]

The River Why is one of my favourite books.... I love the imagery of drinking the entire river from a tin mug. Since we think alike on that book I'm now going to hunt out a copy of True love and the Wooly Bugger SS..... Thanks!

Strollon

Post by Strollon »

New to the forum so only just picked up this and another thread about Blood Knots. Don't know if others agree, but for me there are two basic kinds of writing about angling. The first is simply about the fish, fishing and places that are fished, and some of this is brilliant and some is clichéd and boring, but there's a heck of a lot of it out there to choose from. The second kind is about the way angling is woven into events and intertwined with people's lives. There's not so much of this around, but Luke Jennings is among the best I have read. He has done a better job than most of describing how angling and anglers marked his life, family relationships and friendships - for better or for worse. Great? Maybe not. Utterly convincing? - I think so. Reading Blood Knots certainly made me reflect on the part angling has played in my own life.

Bowles

Post by Bowles »

Mmm , well for me it started off well and kinda fell away! I couldnt relate in anyway shape or form with the public school stuff and im really not into game fishing so that didnt ring a bell! Not a bad book , so ill give it 6/10 ,

Robbi
Tench

Post by Robbi »

just got a copy for .62p so worth a look :)
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

I've been ripped orf! I paid 99p for mine!

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”