Barder 25 year anniversary

The Edward Barder Rods forum.
Barbulus
Tench

Re: Barder 25 year anniversary

Post by Barbulus »

Never say never my friend. Fate has a way of surprising even those unbelieving - it will return to glory and opportunity will arise. The glass should be seen as always "half full" - clear and pure !

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Barbulus wrote:Never say never my friend. Fate has a way of surprising even those unbelieving - it will return to glory and opportunity will arise. The glass should be seen as always "half full" - clear and pure !
Well said! Hear, hear! :Happy:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Snape wrote:
Beresford wrote:Ooops!

Dare I ask – are you one of the 21 committed souls?
No! :Hide: This year I bought a Barder reel, a Barder MKIV avon and a Barder MKIV carp as well as the Andrew Davis Allrounder - I'm broke! :Hahaha:

Alchemy perhaps, given your profession.

It's a grand down now and grand in a couple of years, or more.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

If only those of us of a certain age would have paid more attention to our woodwork teachers!!

I know that dearly departed "Charlie" Roberts ( apologies for the timing) certainly had the skills.abilities to teach, and enthusiasm to train a whole plethora of North Western artisans. We were just too young, too stupid, too to full of hormones to appreciate what was being offered on a plate.
:Brickwall: :Brickwall:
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Northern_Nomad wrote:We were just too young, too stupid, too to full of hormones to appreciate what was being offered on a plate.
At my boy's Grammar School ... when we had to decide which courses we would opt for at "O" Level ... one of the choices we had to make was between Art, Biology, or Woodwork. We HAD to choose only one of the three. I chose art ... which is presumably why girls, who had their own school over the road (we were not allowed to walk on the same side of the street as those strange creatures) remained a mystery to me for so long !!!
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Another question is anyone on TFF one of the 21?.....
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Snape wrote:

Another question is anyone on TFF one of the 21?.....

Not me but I may become one of the remaining four if my numbers come up this weekend. :Wink:

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Macko
Grayling

Post by Macko »

Seriously fellas, if you REALLY,REALLY,REALLY wanted a Barder rod, and put your mind
to it, I'm sure most people on here could afford one. Or two of AJ's for the price of a
Barder.

Sacrifice things, cut down on other things, sell everything sitting around the house not
being used, get your new Barder rod and then worry about using it, in case it get's
muddy or wet. :Hahaha: :Hahaha: :Hahaha:

ATB Macko

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

CWK wrote:
Snape wrote:
Bumble wrote:CWK I could not agree more I have 3 of AJ'S rods and 5 of Mr Baders all are of sublime quality but as you say the difference is the price is substantial and many would question why.
As for the Kennet Perfection I assume Edwards is built on the BJames tapers however personally I think the Ted Oliver taper for his Kennet Perfection is far superior.
Just my thoughts.
Bumble
No Bumble, it is the Ted Oliver taper he is using.
Edward is considering raising his prices again. :shocked: His order books are full...
Fair play to Edward if people are prepared to pay a premium for one of his rods ... However , my feeling is as stated above , and for the record Andrew also has a full order book.
No offence meant to Andrew`s beautiful creations (which I totally agree), but I presume Andrew is one man, working from home, producing a limited number of rods per annum, I don't know 10-20, any less and where's the profit, break even point?.
Edward & Colin, a two man operation, paying wages, commercial rates, possibly rent and produces how many sublime rods a year, lets say 50. The average going rate as £2000, average wage £35,000, so £70,000, then commercial rates/rent lets say £1500 a month, so £88,000, then costs of materials, banking, insurance etc etc, it all mounts up, I don't think Edward or Collin are working on a philanthropic basis.....

PS, I still believe Edward & Collin make the perfect rod.....

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

As always it's very tempting and as macko says if you put your mind to it and save and sell you can. What's the waiting time for said rod?
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Return to “Edward Barder Cane Rods”