What is the best way to keep lobworms

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: What is the best way to keep lobworms

Post by Mark »

Prince of Durham wrote:John Wilson showed on one of his program's how to make a wormery in his garage in an old fish tank, i think. Keith Arthur showed in one he had worms breeding in a simple bait box. Just compost kept damp and the occasional bit of veg or price of apple chucked in. He had baby worms and worm eggs in his.

It's true what Shaun says about dead worms. It's not just lobs. For some reason dead worm is the best thing for killing worms.....
I have a wormery PD and it is always full of worms but not Lobworms.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

Do you have anywhere in your garden that you can lay some old plastic bags (or piece of plastic) down on bare earth for a few days? Just hold it down with a few stones. After a few days you'll find a nice population of worms awaiting your easy pickings. Far easier than going on the local golf course or park at night to stalk them :)
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Local cricket field just after dark or first thing in the morning after a heavy dew fall, or when digging in the allotment. One for the garden, next for the hens, next for the bait box.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Trevor
Eel

Post by Trevor »

I find just digging up a patch of the garden border usually turns up enough for a days fishing.
Not so much in the summer, but in winter a ten minute excavation is all it takes

Carp Artist
Arctic Char

Post by Carp Artist »

A wet sack laid out on the lawn and left a few days works for me. :Thumb: I wouldn't want to get caught digging in the garden in case the missus saw and it might well become a regular thing :Scared: (gardening) this could infringe seriously on valuable fishing time.
Not a fish was visible that first time I visited Beechmere; an utter
stillness brooded over the place and I felt the strange and sinister atmosphere which, so the story goes,
has been the cause of several suicides.’
BB – Confessions of a Carp Fisher

MaggotDrowner
Sea Trout

Post by MaggotDrowner »

I get mine while digging over the allotment.

I find they keep really well in moss, nicked out of the sacks of it that Mum uses in the hanging baskets. I like to keep mine cool in the same way I keep my maggots cool. I put the maggot box in a tray of water. It would float, but I put a brick on it. Works in the same way as a wine bucket. I don't fancy keeping them in the fridge with the food!
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

There's always a worm hotspot nearby Mark. I suggest you look somewhere where the grass is fairly short (so my lawn is out), a cricket ground or bowling green being tops but I used to find loads on a grass verge outside a college. Use a dim torch or one with a red filter, walk lightly and, when you spot one, grab it firmly next to the hole, let it contract and slide it our of its hole. Its a tactic that takes practice (even badgers have to learn how to get whole worms for their efforts) but you will soon have a bucket full of worms and an aching back. Be prepared for some interesting conversations with passers by :Wink:

And the shredded and dampened newspaper kept in your garage works very well.

One tip - Check them regularly and should you find any thin, limp ones or dead ones then get rid of them immediately! Left in with the rest they will all die in no time and stink the whole neighbourhood out :shocked:

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

The village cricket pitch or rugby/football field after rain about an hour or so after dusk will yield 100s of lobworms. Just take a dim torch and walk with out causing vibrations. Last time I went there were so many I couldn't begin to pick them all. Within 15 minutes I had a large bait box full to the brim.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Woodytia
Crucian Carp

Post by Woodytia »

I've kept them in damp newspaper in a fridge, if outside moss and damp coir works. I used to collect them at night but I have found early mornings after rain is a good time to try worm waggling, just work a garden fork into the ground and waggle it, all sizes of worms come to the surface and can be picked up.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

The washing up liquid water can work well as long as the ground isn't too dry to start off with.
I kept quite a few in a large plastic bucket in soil and compost for several months and they seemed to breed a bit.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”