The Domhof knot?

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: The Domhof knot?

Post by AshbyCut »

For reference ...

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

That's not a Domhof, it's the knot that spade end hook tying tools make. The tag end is only trapped by one turn of the whipping, and sticks out at right-angles.
The real Domhof is just like a whipping, with the tag trapped by every turn, and coming out pointing along the hook-shank, towards the bend. I'll have a look...

EDIT: This shows it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBAT1qSYm-I

If you wind the down-pointing arm of the loop back towards the eye, you pull on the tag end to form the knot; if you wind -as in this demo - the out-pointing arm down the hook, you have to pull the main hooklength through all the whipping and the eye of the hook. The latter means you can set the length of a ready-tied (Dark Side Alert!) hair loop, but runs a risk of damaging or kinking the hooklength, so paranoid lubricationand smooth tightening are called for.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Sorry Vole, Sir ... but the illustration from "The Book of Practical Fishing Knots" (Geoffrey Budworth. 2003. Thalamus Publishing) I gave above as a reference for the Dumhof Knot is identical to the illustration from the knot of that name given in the 'Pegley Davis Knot Card for "Atlas" and P.D.Q." ' lines, a copy of which I have which was issued by the tackle dealer F. Tout of Fore Street, Dulverton, some time before decimalisation (1971) as the prices are in shillings and pence, which recommends the Domhof as "For attaching cast to hook or fly." (see second page, top left below) Could both be incorrect ?

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

I found this one http://www.gofishing.co.uk/Angling-Time ... hing-knot/ Any other ideas for the Domhof?
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

The knot was, I believe, invented by the Domhof who corresponded with Walker and the CCC in the 1950s, because Domhof was the best carp angler in Holland. The CCC considered making him a member.

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

The knot posted by AshbyCut is the very same one termed 'the Domhof' by David Carl Forbes in his 'Small Stream Fishing' book. I'd scan the relevant page in but my scanner is currently stored away and rather difficult to extract..

For those who have this book it is in the Trout section on page 45. There is a very good illustration of it about a third of the way down the page :)
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Well, I'll be... I've just spent a very dusty hour or two in the loft and various other hidey-holes, and can find only two books that have the Domhof knot in their index - The "Observer's Book of Coarse Fishing", by Peter Wheat; and the "Art of Angling" part-work.
Both give the knot I've always called the "Spade end" or "Hook Tyer" knot, the one with the tag trapped by just the last turn of the whipping.
Bob Nudd and John Wilson both show the knot I mean, the "Whipping" knot , but call it the "Spade End" knot!
Going to Google.ne and searching for "Domhof Knoop", far from clarifying matters, threw up a third option, a sort of seven-turn overhand knot about the shank of the hook...

I give up. If I'm right, then a much-copied mistake was made early in the knots history in print; and (probably due to it being much easier to tie) it got propagated by author after author; meanwhile the original is probably lurking in an unremembered, un-indexed journal from the late 1950s, so I might just as well be wrong. :Hahaha: :Cool: :Brickwall:

Walker was indeed in contact with Frans Domhof ; in the 1960 third edition of Still Water Angling (the only one I have), Domhof supplied the photo of some spoons used to catch roach and rudd.

If you really want some fun, try and find out what the "real" Grinner Knot was... :Scared:
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Well found, Kevan, especially as there's no index!

Here's a scan:

Note that D.C.F. isn't sure how Domhof's name became attached to that knot.
Where's a Walker archivist when you need one?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

This is the one I know of as the 'grinner'. Though I had always heard it as being attributed to Dick Walker's son because he was always 'grinning'.

http://www.animatedknots.com/duncan/ind ... dknots.com

Pretty good site and the only one where I have even begun to understand the 'bimini twist' knot :)

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Does nobody use the Palomar knot for eyed hooks....?

Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”