Edgar Sealey

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
MGs
Pike

Re: Edgar Sealey

Post by MGs »

Yes. I find it to be a good multi purpose rod, whether float fishing or legering. I have caught all sorts on it. From 10lb barbel down to the smallest silver fish. Despite its power, the tip registers the smallest of bites when ledgering.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Looks a lovely rod MGs, you have done it proud. :thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

BobH

Post by BobH »

An Edgar Sealey " Hornet " Fly Rod

First time out I broke the tip whilst playing a Trout !!

I took it to Chapmans who had a replacement tip in stock and was told it was a Chapman blank ?

Bob

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Bob, that rod has a Marco transfer on it.

I know Marco did a 'glass flyrod, on a lamiglas blank, called the Hornet, and there is one reference on the net to them doing a cane Hornet on a Hardy blank!

BobH

Post by BobH »

Nobby,

When I was doing this rod up it only had a bit of the name left and Hornet writen on it ?

I asked George Howell about the maker and he told me it was and Edgar Sealey, so it looks like I will have to sandpaper the name off again.

Modern Arms ?

I can't find out much about a Fly Rod.

Bob

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Definitely a Marco badge, Bob. They often had another little transfer saying Elasticane too. They were originally in SE London, but moved to Bromley in Kent( just) from where they traded until the late Seventies. They imported rods later on, possibly from France or Japan, but did make their own in the Fifties and Sixties with a milling plane that was very accurate compared to hand planing...and a lot faster too.
When they closed a lot of their records are thought to have gone to Agutters and I'm told the fellow there knows a lot about his old competitors.

Originally the company called themselves Modarcom, short for Modern Arms Rod Company, but changed it to Marco later on.The name suggests they once made firearms, but I have no information on this.

The Hardy reference turns out to be for a fly rod in fibreglass.

JohnClyde
Perch

Post by JohnClyde »

Hello,

I've just bought what was listed to be a 9'6" octopus ESS rod. The photo was very clearly a float rod and not a fly rod. Was there ever one so short? I'm hoping it'll make a nice small stream trotting rod.

thanks

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I and my father have several Sealey cane rods, but I have never seen one of their coarse rods shorter than 10'6. That isn't to say they didn't make one. Sounds like a good small stream rod. They tend to be a bit heavy in the action, more designed for chub than roach and dace

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

They made light, medium and heavy leger rods and I think they were 9 feet.

The markings on them were identical to an Octofloat rod, with the exception of the Medium Leger title in the usual red.

If your rod has all three sections of the same length I'd guess it's one of these.

Here's a similar rod...though I doubt it's 1940, as stated, with aluminium bits on it.....

http://www.piscatoriana.at/product_info ... -1940.html

There's actually a Heavy Leger on eBay right now.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Just remembered they did make some ledger rods about that length. Not that I have ever seen one in the flesh.

Pipped to it again by Nobby

John, I'd be interested to see a picture when it arrives

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”