Post by Chavender »

i've just added some details to another simular thread that might be of intrest

http://www.traditionalfisherman.co.uk/v ... 404#p60404
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Frogmore

Re: What is this centrepin?

Post by Frogmore »

Hi there,

They are here - the "Unknown" reel and its Grice and Young friend have arrived.

I'll let you take a look at some pics then you can analyse and advise.

The "Unknown" is at :- http://www.flickr.com/photos/48059764@N ... 266055217/ This looks like the last one on the link Chavender included in his post.

The Grice and Young Avon Crown is at :- http://www.flickr.com/photos/48059764@N ... 270208858/

So .................... off you go. I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts.

Colin.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Looks like you've got a nice float fishing reel and a nice ledgering reel. I like the Grice and Youngs as all purpose barbel and carp reels. I've got an Avon Crown Superb which is the drum from the Avon Crown combined with the back from the Avon Royal Supreme and a Gypsy d'Or. I've always thought that the brake on the Royal SUpreme was a bit of overkill as the ratchet on the "basic" reels like yours and the Gypsy d'Or is fine for most purposes.

I'm sure you'll enjoy them :ok:
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

my very first centrepin was a avon crown way back in the mid seventies ,me and a mate (richard) brought some secondhand tackle a fixed spoolled reel and the avon crown two rods and some floats and stuff in a plastic seat box ,we split the stuff between us a toss of a coin decided who had what .I lost and got the centrepin ,half the floats a rod and a little folding stool thing ,i learnt to cast with the centrepin but was awfull thing to use .come the end of summer ,richard swapped me the rest of the tackle (for a action man and 300 football cards ,i was a flicker ace me) i put the centrepin away someware and completly forgot about it .as i now had the fixed spool reel ,i recall it was some kinda mitchell clone (poor immitation) but worked well enough.i actually still had the avon crown ,although i'd long since fought i'd thrown it away or lost it ,i found it in a box of stuff nothing to do with fishing a couple of years ago ,i cleaned it up and re-lubbed it (it diddn't look like it had ever been cleaned out or oiled ) i sold it on e-bay

mine was never in the best of condition ,and probably could of done with a good clean and oiling when i first got it ,but i was only 8¾ at the time .didn't know better ,it took many wasted years until i rediscovered centrepins (1999/2000 ,been doomed ever sinse) and a new found love for them .
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Frogmore

Another of Frogmore's "unknown" reels on EBay

Post by Frogmore »

You don't see one for ages then ...................................

There is an "Unknown" reel on EBay !! Item number :- 230895114414

Colin.

Return to “Other Reels”