Eccentric Ray Webb Pike Fishing.

Watched a good fishing film lately, why not talk about it in here.
Fredline
Tench

Re: Eccentric Ray Webb Pike Fishing.

Post by Fredline »

4 of us were fishing in Ireland in 1973 and looking for new waters to try, it was either County Clare or Cavan, and camped in a very scruffy caravan almost hidden amongst the surrounding forestry was this hobo type person who appeared and chatted about fishing and directed us a feasible lake. I did not have a clue who he was but the others did, it was Ray Webb.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Fredline wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:22 am 4 of us were fishing in Ireland in 1973 and looking for new waters to try, it was either County Clare or Cavan, and camped in a very scruffy caravan almost hidden amongst the surrounding forestry was this hobo type person who appeared and chatted about fishing and directed us a feasible lake. I did not have a clue who he was but the others did, it was Ray Webb.

RBTraditional wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:23 am Some folk dislike following what is expected of them by the conventions laid down by society, Del Harding & Dexter Petley to name but two free spirits who spring to mind…hooray for them! :Hat:
Some interesting points all round gents, and the two above. I would have liked to have met him John.
But now... a book I will have to get... thanks Rob! and a man from Kent to. The Dell Harding book/ books, look interesting too.

Interesting stuff.
Mr B.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Mr B wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:21 pm
Fredline wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:22 am 4 of us were fishing in Ireland in 1973 and looking for new waters to try, it was either County Clare or Cavan, and camped in a very scruffy caravan almost hidden amongst the surrounding forestry was this hobo type person who appeared and chatted about fishing and directed us a feasible lake. I did not have a clue who he was but the others did, it was Ray Webb.

RBTraditional wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:23 am Some folk dislike following what is expected of them by the conventions laid down by society, Del Harding & Dexter Petley to name but two free spirits who spring to mind…hooray for them! :Hat:
Some interesting points all round gents, and the two above. I would have liked to have met him John.
But now... a book I will have to get... thanks Rob! and a man from Kent to. The Dell Harding book/ books, look interesting too.

Interesting stuff.
Mr B.
Mark, I’m sure you’ll enjoy Dexter Petleys book “love madness fishing”. PM me your address and I’ll pop my copy in the post to you mate 👍🏻
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

RBTraditional wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:35 pm
Mr B wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:21 pm

Interesting stuff.
Mr B.
Mark, I’m sure you’ll enjoy Dexter Petleys book “love madness fishing”. PM me your address and I’ll pop my copy in the post to you mate 👍🏻
PM sent Rob,
Thanks very much 👍
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

John Milford wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:47 pm I've always liked that video for it's very kind portrayal of Ray. It has a general tone of wonder and astonishment at his chosen lifestyle without being judgemental or with any hint of ridicule.

My old friend Colin Brett has recorded some interviews with people who knew and fished with Ray. I'm very sure he will not mind me sharing them here.

Here's one he made with Fenland angler and bailiff John McAngus:
(Click the 'Listen in browser' bar if you do not have soundcloud).

Thanks for sharing that John.
I usually sleep well but last night woke up around 4am and just couldn't get back to sleep.
I put my ear plugs in and listened to it, really enjoyed it.. a nice natural interview with two very knowledgeable anglers. It really did paint a picture.
I want to try and save it somehow, fantastic.
Thanks again.

Mr B

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

What a great film I love the look of that fixed spool reel he's using!

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Bobthefloat wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:48 pm What a great film I love the look of that fixed spool reel he's using!
It’s not brown though Terry :Confused: :Hahaha:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

RBTraditional wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:39 pm
Bobthefloat wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:48 pm What a great film I love the look of that fixed spool reel he's using!
It’s not brown though Terry :Confused: :Hahaha:
It looked rather brown to me!

JAA
Crucian Carp

Post by JAA »

RBTraditional wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:35 pm Mark, I’m sure you’ll enjoy Dexter Petleys book “love madness fishing”. PM me your address and I’ll pop my copy in the post to you mate 👍🏻
It's a quite wonderful book. :Hat:
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯ ><(((º>
Cole aka JAA
https://crucians.org/
https://www.anotherangler.net/

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

Thanks to Mr B and John M. for this input which I found very interesting. I'm not sure how much fishing Ray did in my area of the East Riding but he certainly did some along with Barry Rickards. I never met either of them although we did put out an invitation for Barry to fish with Kev Clifford and myself on Driffield Beck. Also by coincidence Christine Rickards was the sister of a good friend of mine and I actually have some of her rods which were passed on to me. "Fishing for Big Pike" has always been one of my favourite books and it mentions many of my pike fishing spots particularly Hornsea Mere, Barmston Drain and River Hull where I eventually caught the one time record pike.

Return to “Fishing Films”