The Expert?

The Hardy Rods forum.
Pallenpool
Zander

Re: The Expert?

Post by Pallenpool »

Pallenpool wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:36 pm PM me for details - if your interested of course

I should say I have details on this rod - I do own Asps but not the Severndale.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Another worth looking at is the Milwards swimversa at 12ft it is surprisingly light, it is a perfect roach rod.

There is a video on you tube of Bernard Venables long trotting for roach with one.

Riparian
Bleak

Post by Riparian »

"a roach rod for sure!"

Olly, agreed and I've found one...

Oh dear.
"It is the most delicious form of idling known to me."

Martin James
Tench

Post by Martin James »

PM me if your interested in a Milwards swimversa at 12ft Martin James MBE

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

I have just found a previous thread on Hardy ‘The Expert’ and it does seem to match what you are looking for.

In use, I suspect it might be just a little less refined than some of the later Aspindales but a lovely rod of utter quality nevertheless.

viewtopic.php?t=1454&start=10
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Riparian
Bleak

Post by Riparian »

Tengisgol, thank you for the link - very useful. I have taken the plunge and now have the anxious wait for it to arrive. I have collected rods in the past but it was not possible on this occasion. The rod I've bought, judging by the photographs, is whipped identically to the one shown in the link you posted.

I am hoping to give it try before the season ends but the weather could hardly be worse, especially today! My local rivers and drains are carrying too much water once again, and it might be June 16th before The Expert's first outing. Hopefully it will be some time before I connect with a tench or a carp on it...

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I hope you don't connect with a tench or carp! Could do irreparable damage!

I have a shorter version - a two section Aspindale Avon at 11ft - whole cane/whole cane spliced split cane tip - I get worried with a 3lb chub!!

Riparian
Bleak

Post by Riparian »

"I hope you don't connect with a tench or carp! Could do irreparable damage!"

Indeed, it's a nightmare. The first traditional rod I bought, a good few years ago, was a fairly soft-actioned Super Wizard. On its second or third outing on a local drain, I was catching a few rudd and wondering how it might cope with a tench. The quill disappeared and I was into an enormously powerful fish. It was ten minutes before I saw it was a wild-looking common. It took another twenty minutes or so before it was in the net, after the usual weeding and waiting. On a 4lb line I was quite unable to bully the thing - I just got lucky in the end. It weighed 12lbs. The rod had a slight set before this encounter - I'm sure it has been a millimetre or two worse ever since.

I like a carp as much as the next man but so many local waters have been spoiled by stocking them, in my opinion. Small pits that once had nice all-round fishing are now overstocked with carp, and syndicates grab even the tiniest places. It's an additional hazard for old rods, too!

The 'Expert' has just been delivered. It is in excellent condition as the dealer promised, and arrived more quickly than Amazon Prime. I don't know whether I should name the company in this forum, but I am impressed with the service. The rod is so light it will cope easily with fishing hemp, tares and elderberries. Roll on the summer.

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”