Peter Stone Ledgerstrike

The Chapmans Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Peter Stone ledgerstrike

Post by AshbyCut »

Vole wrote:Bought new, Five Guineas, 1968 or 9. How scary; I have had that reel for at least 43 years!
Good value, though.
At just over £0.12 a year ... I should say so !!! :)
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

I have been looking for one of these rods for a while and narrowly missed out on one last year. However, I am somewhat confused as the one I have seen photos of has high bell rings which indicates it is NOT a rod recommended for ledgering due to the rotational forces transfered from the line through the rings to the cane.

I expected therefore to see Peter Stone ledgerstrike rods with low bells - am I missing something here?

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

The Ledgerstrike was made with high bell rings in the way that many Avon style rods were, I guess its just so that it can be used for float and ledger as it was originally his bream rod. Either way they are beautiful rods and you must keep searching for one.

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

I have been trying to find one too, for 6 years now. I have the remnants of one with a full complete transfer on the butt section, unfortunately 8" had been sawn off the ferrule end and another 8" snapped off the tip. Managed to get s refund and bought the bits for the tip and butt guide. Midget make something from the rest, maybe cut it back a bit more and make a 3 piece rod so as not to waste the handle :Wink:

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Dave Burr wrote:The Ledgerstrike was made with high bell rings in the way that many Avon style rods were, I guess its just so that it can be used for float and ledger as it was originally his bream rod. Either way they are beautiful rods and you must keep searching for one.
I will certainly keep searching have no doubt - however, I was speaking to John Brough recently who is doing some minor repairs to my James Avon which has low bell rings and I mentioned to him that I hoped to use it for some light ledgering work later in the year.

He was adament that cane rods should NOT be used for legering and certainly not with a feeder due to the tremendous strain on the cane. I rarely use a feeder anyway so no worries on that but I do wonder about the use of high bells on a rod marketed for ledgering and with an angler of Peter Stone's knowledge and skill hand in its design wouldn't low bell rings have been more suited.

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

I had a late version LS.It had a plain cork handle with no metal butt cap etc just the reel bands.The cane was finished in matt varnish.There were no intermediate whippings.Peter Stone Ledgerstrike was written in ink on the butt with the addition of NL.This was for New Look,the rod was finished to try and catch the last of the split cane era big fish anglers as fibregalss rods were pushing cane out.It was a cracking rod and it is one i wish that i had not traded on :( .

James
Rudd

Post by James »

Hope you all dont mind me sharing a picture of two Ledgestrikes i have just restored for the Colonel and what terrific rods they are,There light crisp with a lovely fast action and bite detection that is so sensitive.I think Peter Stone should of been very proud of his entry into rod design helped by Chapmans years of knowledge.Image
Whippen in vintage British wine silk. Hope you like them Colonel Sir!!

Andrew J Davis

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

Stunning

GarryProcter
Arctic Char

Post by GarryProcter »

Gorgeous, James. Now, stop messing about refurbishing rods and get cracking on that list of Craftversas you have :Happy: You know I'm pulling your leg - I'm happy to wait as long as necessary for mine!

James
Rudd

Post by James »

Gary hope you wont abuse your Craftversa catching Double figure carp like another forum member.[skillfully done i might add Bumble]

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”