THE Book

This forum belongs to Chris Yates.
The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Re: THE Book

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Really looking forward to this one.....not that I haven't eagerly awaited all the rest, it's just that it appeals more to where I am in my fishing. Now that might sound strange as the book contains no fishing, but it's everything else that is as important, if not more so, and with owls, ghosts and the like, I’m sure it will provoke more than a few spinal shivers when reading it on those early, eerie mornings at Waggoners Wells.

Some might say that he has no more fishing stories to tell, I think he still has enough memories for another dozen books, I think this is the book he’s wanted to write for a long time, perhaps he was expected to write fishing books and, in order to please his followers, kindly obliged. If this book has given him more pleasure, in both writing it and seeing it go to print, then bravo Mr Yates.

I think I’ll hang on to a copy and, when we meet up for a spot of fishing, ask if he would be kind enough to write a small inscription for me, now there’s ambition for you……

SK :wink:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

colonelgsc wrote:
Merlot wrote:
colonelgsc wrote:
Merlot wrote:Is that the new name for the book originally going to be called Crystal Wood?
'Tis indeed, Merlot................title decided at the very last minute, in true Yates fashion.
Never a truer statement, a tad like, "Just one more cast", as I explain we are late for dinner, typical of Mr Yates, many a time we were late for fodder!
Sounds like we've had similar experiences, Merlot. Many's the time we've only just made it to the 'hungarian lady's' fish 'n chip shop in Ringwood to feast before the journey home.............30 years back, and I can still recall those hunger pangs......and those scrumptous chips :thumb:
Yes, the hunger pains and in pitch darkness, whilst trying to avoid catching bats. Its not just that, it`s also whilst fishing, his avocet has the tip ring held on by sticky tape, I still cannot get over that!

Dave

Post by Dave »

Have pre-orded my copy from Amazon.....only £10.34!!!

I guess at that price the book will have a cheapish dustcover and be printed on cheapish paper...bit like his last two books. I think it's a shame he doesn't use a publisher that produces books of a good quality like Deepening Pool and CATS on good paper.

Having said that a) I could be wrong about the quality and b) if he makes a better profit this way then I approve....he deserves it

Looking forward to it whatever it comes like :thumb:

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Dave wrote:Have pre-orded my copy from Amazon.....only £10.34!!!

I guess at that price the book will have a cheapish dustcover and be printed on cheapish paper...bit like his last two books. I think it's a shame he doesn't use a publisher that produces books of a good quality like Deepening Pool and CATS on good paper.

Having said that a) I could be wrong about the quality and b) if he makes a better profit this way then I approve....he deserves it

A lot of it comes down to money.
Medlar pay next to nothing but produce a lovely looking book and smaller publishers like Merlin Unwin will not be much better.
Penguin paid a substantial advance to CY for the first 2 books.
A man's got to earn a living!
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Colonelgsc
Roach

Post by Colonelgsc »

Snape wrote:
Dave wrote:Have pre-orded my copy from Amazon.....only £10.34!!!

A lot of it comes down to money.
Medlar pay next to nothing but produce a lovely looking book and smaller publishers like Merlin Unwin will not be much better.
Penguin paid a substantial advance to CY for the first 2 books.
A man's got to earn a living!
Spot on, Prof.
It doesn't sound as if it's a long book, so maybe less paper, better quality???? At the moment he's sorting out the front cover with the publishers to ensure they don't overdo it in favour of marketing...............and getting back to some perch fishing after the enforced writing break :thumb:

"If you can wait, and not be tired of waiting......" Kipling

BobH

Post by BobH »

I pre ordered mine as well !!

I don't really mind what the paper is like or the dust cover, I just like the way Chris writes and can't wait for it to arrive ?

Bob

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

I received the following email from River Reads today.

NIGHTWALK by CHRIS YATES
Book-signing, Saturday, 9th June 2012

The signing of Chris Yates’s beautifully written nature book: NIGHTWALK will now take place at River Reads’ bookshop in Torrington on Saturday 9th June, starting at 10.00 a.m. (Please note that only copies of NIGHTWALK purchased from River Reads will be eligible for signature).

The signing will be from 10.00a.m.-12.00 noon (approximately) with a break for lunch, and then at 2.00 p.m. customers will have the opportunity to join Chris for tea, cake, a chat and more book-signing at the recently refurbished, Globe Hotel, Torrington. (Please access: http://www.theglobehotel.org.uk for directions or tel: 01805 622352. Accommodation is available at the Hotel, direct contact please).

Chris will be in the function room on the first floor of the Hotel between 2.00-4.00 p.m. to give a short reading and a talk on his book. This event is ‘tickets only’ and these are on sale in advance through the River Reads’ website. Price: £12.50, to include tea/coffee and cake. All proceeds will be donated to Angling Heritage (UK) of which Chris is a trustee.

Would people who have already paid for their copy of NIGHTWALK and are attending the book-signing please print off their order acknowledgement and bring it with them on the day.

And for those people who have reserved the special edition of NIGHTWALK; the final number to be produced is 50, which includes 4 presentation copies. There is now a waiting list for this book which will be available later in the year (date to be advised).

Sandy Armishaw
http://www.riverreads.co.uk
http://www.anglingheritage.org
River Reads Press
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Colonelgsc
Roach

Post by Colonelgsc »

The Sweetcorn Kid wrote:Really looking forward to this one.....not that I haven't eagerly awaited all the rest, it's just that it appeals more to where I am in my fishing. Now that might sound strange as the book contains no fishing, but it's everything else that is as important, if not more so, and with owls, ghosts and the like, I’m sure it will provoke more than a few spinal shivers when reading it on those early, eerie mornings at Waggoners Wells.

Some might say that he has no more fishing stories to tell, I think he still has enough memories for another dozen books, I think this is the book he’s wanted to write for a long time, perhaps he was expected to write fishing books and, in order to please his followers, kindly obliged. If this book has given him more pleasure, in both writing it and seeing it go to print, then bravo Mr Yates.

I think I’ll hang on to a copy and, when we meet up for a spot of fishing, ask if he would be kind enough to write a small inscription for me, now there’s ambition for you……

SK :wink:

SK
Further to our PM exchange, I thought the 9th June rang a bell. Looks like Ferney will be otherwise engaged, eh? Never mind.

"If you can wait, and not be tired of waiting......" Kipling

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

colonelgsc wrote:
SK
Further to our PM exchange, I thought the 9th June rang a bell. Looks like Ferney will be otherwise engaged, eh? Never mind.
Hearing you loud and clear sir. As you say, there will hopefully be other times.....

SK :thumb:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Chris Ball
Bleak

Post by Chris Ball »

colonelgsc wrote:The latest and long awaited book written by Chris is with the publishers and is due for release at the end of April 2012. It's called 'Nightwalk'

It’s a ‘fish free’ book as CY recently told me. All about those mid summer walks at night when his mind runs riot.

Return to “Chris Yates”